• Is this a bizarre coincidence???

I have 2 marriages:

From Tatsfield Parish Records:
    William Burgess and Amy Southby, married 1st September 1806
    Witnesses: Edward Scott and Elizabeth Lone

From Burstow Parish Records
    William Burgess and Ann Southby, married 1st September 1808
    Witnesses: Edward Scott and Elizabeth Scott

Edward Scott (of Burstow) had family connections in Tatsfield, which is about 13 miles from Burstow.

Is there any way you can get copies of the entries to compare signatures?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

They were both from transcriptions Tom.
      I can understand 1806/8 being mistranscribed.
      Scott/Lone is a bit more tricky, but how did they get from one parish to another??

Comment

Who did Edward Scott marry? Not a Miss Lone?!

I have some strange intermarriages. If these people were farmers, then they might be cousins marrying land or money. The coincidence of the anniversary is spooky, though. Do you have actual copies of the pages, to see whether the dates are two years apart, or if the event is recorded in two different churches? I've not seen that happen post 1753, but it certainly did in earlier periods.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

*racks brains*
          Without consulting very old notes, I am now fairly sure I saw the original of the Burstow marriage, but not the Tatsfield one.

Edward Scott married Elizabeth Lucken - not a million miles from the name Lone - but he married in 1793, so she should have been Scott in 1806.

Comment

Bizarre. I was going to say that maybe the transcriptions are of banns, which would explain the separate parishes, but you have the witnesses so these are marriages. All very odd.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Amey [sic] Southby's marriage is on the IGI.

This could be her baptism:
              Amey Southby
              Christening: 08 FEB 1789 Sevenoaks, Kent, England
              Father: James Southby
              Mother: Sarah
              Source Information: Batch No.: C019151

Comment

No baptism for a likely Ann Southby.

Comment

IGNORE:I have three occurances of double marriages in the early to mid 1800's in my tree.
                  It seems that a service was held in each partners village

Could this be yiur case?

[Did not look close enough to see the dates and slight first name change]
                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 01-08-08, 07:12. Reason: Teaches me to look carefully at post

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

William Burgess marries Amy Southby
                    Witnesses: Edward Scott and Elizabeth Lone
                    amy pops her clogs

exactly two years later, he marries her sister Ann Southby
                    Witnesses: Edward Scott, who by this time has made an honest woman out of Elizabeth and she is now a Scott

bet its nothing like a easy as that
                    Jess

Comment

When I see something like this I always used to think there must be a connection - how could it possibly be otherwise? I now firstly think it must just be coincidence. It really is amazing how often coincidences happen!

The most bizarre (and very frequent) ones I see are in our local weekly paper which covers north Cumbria. I have reached the age when I look at the deaths before most other things :o and it frequently happens that two people with the same name are listed on the same day. Its quite spooky really - they are clearly different people with the same name who die within a day or so of each other.

Anne

Comment

Perhaps Jess is right and they may have chosen the same date deliberately. My grandmother married on the same date as her parents' had.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I considered the possibility that first wife died and he married her sister, but on the same date??? Seems a bit ..............weird!! :D But obviously not impossible.

But realistically, I am sure this is the same marriage - but in two parishes - it's not as if they are neighbouring parishes either. Even if they had 2 services, one in each village, that were both recorded as marriages - would they have done it 2 years apart?

It's all very peculiar.

Comment

Terri.....sounds plausable to me. I wouldn't worry about the same date. Maybe it was a holiday in that area or in his job, and had nothing to do with his first marriage.

I've got a stack of stranger things in my tree for second marriages. lol.

Comment

Another thought. Since they are both transcriptions, it's possible that one or both is actually the final reading of banns. I have a marriage where banns were read in Dundee and Dumbarton. The marriage took place in Dumbarton.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X