Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally stumped.

Hi

I have been researching Peter Nichols bc 1811 Hammersmith as per census. I know his Father is also Peter, but can't seem to get past that.
    I contacted the archivist at Acton, but he can't find a bapt for Peter, father Peter. There are possibles but I can't seem to go down the right path. Father Peter is a blacksmith on son Peter's marr cert. He married in 1840, so is not with his parents, which is annoying!! (how inconsiderate to marry then!!

Any help gratefully appreciated as this brick wall has stood for too many years, and I am hoping that someone can help or advise me.

regards

treesa

Tricky. Hammersmith might include lots of parishes where he could have been baptised. Father could have died way before 1840.

and ~ whisper ~ there's a possibility that Peter was illegit and invented father with same name to save embarrassment.

Any clues with the witnesses on the marriage cert?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Is this your 1811 Peter and family on the 1851 census ?

The William transcribed as his son aged 1/243 is actually his brother aged 43 ....

- Ancestry.co.uk

don't know if this helps at all

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

IGI have the following extracted records for the children of Peter and Ann Nicholls. Don't if they are yours or not.

Mary Ann christened 02 NOV 1788 Saint Andrew, Holborn, London
        William christened 01 MAY 1790 Saint Andrew, Holborn, London
        Peter born 25 OCT 1807 christened 05 NOV 1807 Lying In Hospital Endell Street, Holborn, London

Hammersmith is about 7 miles away from Holborn.
        Last edited by WendyPusey; 31-07-08, 15:04.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Rachel, yes that's him with brother William, wrongly transcribed.

Wendy, I have seen these too, yet not sure if mine or not. The dates aren't close enough, as brother William bc 1809, Peter 1811. Unless of course William is a second William born as the first one died??

I have seen three Peter's on 41, but not sure if any are mine:

One was 50, a barge builder,
          One, 55 a tea dealer
          and the last, Peter age 59 an ag lab.

Witnesses to Peter bc 1811 marriage were William Long??e sand Hannah Williams.

Comment

It's worth tracking down the Lying In Hospital entry. It should provide additional information, possibly including father's occupation, which registers in 1811 don't usually note. Holborn isn't Hammersmith, but any move made when you are small is likely to be forgotten.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Where did Peter and Mary marry and does it give their ages ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

There is no additional information on the Holborn entry, unfortunately.

It states 'of full age' for both Peter and Mary. They married in the Parish of Ealing. States residence for both as Old Brentford.

treesa

Comment

Brentford and barge building go together, so that's one possible match. Anything to do with canals is often itinerant, especially boat people.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I keep coming back to father Peter down as a Blacksmith on marr cert.

If it is Peter and Ann Nichols, as Wendy wrote down the details earlier, then I do know that they come from Devon. And following through the line, Peter and Ann's grandson got married in Somerset, not far from Devon, the county that his wife came from.

Why would someone born in Hammersmith be over in Devon/Somerset? Is this because his grandparents came from there?

You can see I am definately stumped on this one.

Comment

I agree with little nell and the posibility he lied.

I have one Samuel Nokes Pursglove who married in Dartford.
                      On his certificate he gave his father as Samuel Nokes Pursglove Occ:Farmer.

Complete lies, there has never been a samuel nokes pursglove and the samuel who married in Dartford then uses just pursglove as his surname.

Researching:
                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

So you would say this is a dead end as he probably made up his father's name for the cert.

TrevorFranklin, is it a dead end for you with Samuel Pursglove? If not, how did you overcome it and go forwards, or rather back?

treesa

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                          there has never been a samuel nokes pursglove and the samuel who married in Dartford then uses just pursglove as his surname.

That's odd .... does the name Nokes appear anywhere else in your family ?

Comment

Originally posted by treesa View Post
                            So you would say this is a dead end as he probably made up his father's name for the cert.
                            Hi treesa,

I wouldn't give up yet, although there's no harm in putting it down for a while if you're sick of researching him right now.

My gg-gm, Mary Anne Teague, had her father's name listed as "Samuel Teague" on her 1856 marriage certificate, but I was never able to track down her baptism or find any trace of a Samuel who was the right age to be her father. However, someone eventually took on the job of OPC for St. Teath (were Mary Ann said she was born) and found her baptized as Marian, the base-born daughter of Jane Teague. An A2A searched showed a Samuel Stephens in the QS records, charged by St. Teath as the purported father of Jane's "bastard child". So Mary Ann might simply have said that her father's name was Samuel and the Register just assumed his surname was the same as her maiden name.

You never know when some new contact or new piece of evidence may turn up and knock down your wall.

Tim
                            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Thanks Tim for that insight. I will bear that in mind, what you experienced, as it may prove the way for me!

I am determined this time I have picked up this man (!) Peter, that I will hopefully get some answers. Peter Nicholls who married 1840 named a son Peter, also.

I am thinking that it maybe worthwile getting the marriage cert of Peter's brother, William, and see what he puts down as father.

I am not sub'd on ancestry, but I do recall finding a census with William and his wife on, Maria, I think. He married later in life.

Can some very kind person have a look for me just so I can be sure?

Do members think it would be a good idea to buy his marr cert? Peter may have been dead by then.

From a detemined and not to be put off, treesa!!!

Comment

Hi Treesa
                                Definitely worth getting William's marriage cert.

This looks like him in 1861, although his year of birth is slightly different (c 1804)

William Nichol (57) Basket Maker ... born in Hammersmith
                                Maria (wife) (48) Nurse ... born in Hammersmith

with them is a boarder aged 9 Frederick Hawkins

Comment

There's a marriage on FreeBMD ..... 4Q 1860 which might be the one, but it's in Bethnal Green not really the right area of London

Maria Bentley
                                  Harriet King
                                  William Nichol
                                  James Davis

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 02-08-08, 11:01.

Comment

There's one for William no surname for 1859 q 2 to Maria Needle Pancras.

Stumped again!!

Comment

My experience is very similar to Tim's.

My 2 x GGF gave his grandfather's name as father, on his marriage cert, but with an incorrect and very unlikely occupation.

Good old A2A led me to several bastardy orders and I found one which fitted him exactly - right birth date, right mother, and a father with the same peculiar occupation as he gave on his marriage cert!

(But not the name he gave for his father - I surmise his grandfather brought him up and his natural father was conspicuous by his absence, so didn't merit appearing as a father)

OC

Comment

Yes, I have a birth cert and a marr cert for one male, different father's, but both are correct. The name on his marr cert could have been his gfather's or just a name he chose. Either way, a very meandering journey I have had with this particular man!! Not unlike this Peter Nichols.

Don't you just love a mystery!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X