Charming! (Susannah Bacon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charming! (Susannah Bacon)

I'm looking for my GG GM Susannah Bacon (father John) bc 1837 - on the 51 and 41.

I think I have got her on the 51 (HO107 2100 page 35) with her sibs and mother.

Alongside her brother Thomas's name, under occupation, does it really say 'bastard'?? and ditto for his sister underneath Hardly an occupation lol.

Still, if it turns out they are mine it will give me a clue when Susannah's dad died, as Ann (mother) is a widow.

PS, I'm hoping to link her to a murderer and/or thief;)
    Rose

That's certainly what it looks like - how odd.

Are you sure Thomas and Sarah Ann are Susannah's siblings? They're shown as Ann's grandchildren, so I assumed they were Eliza's children.

Comment

Crikey Rosie

It does say bastard

Never seen that before on a census

Comment

*smacks self on forehead*

Didn't notice that it said grands *tuts*. I'm not even positive that this is my Susannah as I haven't got a birth cert/PR entry. Only marriage cert.
        Rose

Comment

This looks like the best bet for the birth of the Susanna shown in the 1851 census:

Births Sep 1839
          Bacon Susanna Sleaford 14 494

Comment

I have seen this in my researches before, where a grandson is given the occupation of "illegitimate". Talk about rubbing the poor child's nose in it! No idea why it was thought necessary to record the information.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Mary. I had been considering getting that one but it states on her marriage cert that she was aged 19 in 1856. She probably was only 17 (hubby was 24) - the whole marriage scenario is a bid odd as they were both from Lincs but, for some unknown reason, got spliced in Sneinton Nottingham. Lived the rest of their lives (at censuses and births anyway) in Lincs.

*job advert: officious little twerp required for census enumeration. Must be sanctimonious. People who live in glass houses need not apply*
              Rose

Comment

Rose

Your forgot to add "flowery but illegible handwriting an asset"
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

LOL, yes that should get them an interview at least!
                  Rose

Comment

Freereg has quite a lot of Lincs baptisms, including Sleaford:

FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices

I can't see your Susannah in Sleaford, but she may have been born in another parish that hasn't been transcribed yet.

Comment

Thanks for looking Mary. I am just off to the Lincs county council website to order the 1839 one you mentioned above.
                      Rose

Comment

It might be cheaper to send them a cheque, specifying that the father's name must be John. Then if it isn't, they can return your cheque (most local ROs do, but I haven't used Lincs myself).

Comment

ooops, too late. I've ordered on line. And I didn't fill in the father's name (twit).

*dashes off to see if there is a phone number I can ring*
                          Rose

Comment

oh bummocks. Woman I spoke to said she can't add father's name now as I did the order on line.

fingers crossed she's mine.
                            Rose

Comment

That's a shame. Never mind, it's worth remembering for the future.

Comment

I have several census entries where the enumerator has been unable to control his spite, presumably because my relatives were thumbing their noses at the local community and he didn't like it!

One woman gets "acts as wife" against her name, and her two children are "illegitimate of above two persons" just in case anyone is under any illusion.

This couple did not marry until their youngest child was 31, presumably waiting for his first wife to die.

Oh, the joys of living in a small community where everyone knew your business (and your first wife)

OC

Comment

nasty, nasty man!
                                  Rose

Comment

Working...
                                  X