Can you date this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you date this please?

This is an image of an etching of a member's ancestor in front of his printing equipment. It is going to accompany their article in the August issue of the magazine which is due out next Wednesday.

Can anyone date this for us please?

The very first male image in Robert Pols "Dating 19c photos" is an ambrosotype of a man with whiskers and knotted cravat and that would be 1850s. I suspect rather earlier though, particularly with that high roll collar and almost brutus hairstyle

Try looking for images of British politicians. That might be a guide.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Google Image Result for http://multitext.ucc.ie/images/thumbnails/206.jpg

Look at this image from 1821. I suspect you possibly have an older man wearing the fashions of an earlier time, because I think whiskers were a military fashion then.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Phoenix, it does appear Georgian to me.

This gentleman was born c1780 and appears to me to be around 35-45 years of age, so a date of around 1820 would sound right

Comment

This gentlemen appears to date from the late regency period, his hair, collar cravat and the shape of his jacket all fit in to this period, can't you just see him raising his hat to one of Jane Austen's characters, or the ladies from Cranford?

Comment

very early 1800,s brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks Barbara & Brenda

Comment

Working...
              X