• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone see this marriage??

irritating me that I cannot see marriage for
    Edward/Daniel Tomlin &
    Ellen.born: Wilstone, nr Tring Herts/Bucks borders

I assume 1870 +/- 2 given 1871 census, where they are tucked up in Drayton Beauchamp- which a spit from Tring, which I think registers under Berkhampstead

Ann Right 71
    Edwd Daniel Tomlin 22
    Edwd George Tomlin 1
    Ellen Tomlin 20

anyone able to put me out of my misery?

the two appropraite Ellen's in Wilstone in 1861 census are Ms Cartright & Ms Stevens - neither of which seem to fit.

Got evrything else forwards and backwards for Daniel/Daniel & Ellen. Daniel appears to be Edward Daniel really but seems to use Daniel so could be either
    Jess

short answer, Jess, is no!

I haven't investigated the possibilities for the Ellens, but the Edward son of Daniel (do these families link up further back?) marries twice: to Sarah Rhodes and then to Clara. And he's firmly wedged next door to Dad in 1871.
    There might be some mileage in looking at the actual parish records. If the eldest child was baptised, that would give the parents status - you wouldn't get away with pretending to be married in a small village, no matter what you might say to the registrar in the local town. Have you found all the births on freebmd, by the way?
    There is an Edward/Ellen marriage, but considerably later and not, I think, in the right area.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Sorry looked but no luck I looked from the earliest poss time he could have married 1867 -1870 and considered other names for Ellen. The only marriage in your area is a Daniel to an Elizabeth but it is not that one as they are on the census separate to you couple. May be they did not marry?
      GWEN

Comment

Maybe they didnt- its frustrating - Its a tree I am pulling together for someone that is a family member , but a distant one, so dont really want to spend any money .

i'm not local to the reg office to thats a bummer too.
        Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          short answer, Jess, is no!

I haven't investigated the possibilities for the Ellens, but the Edward son of Daniel (do these families link up further back?) marries twice: to Sarah Rhodes and then to Clara. And he's firmly wedged next door to Dad in 1871.

Going down direct line at the moment- twiddly bits will come when I get time , if I get time

There might be some mileage in looking at the actual parish records. If the eldest child was baptised, that would give the parents status - you wouldn't get away with pretending to be married in a small village, no matter what you might say to the registrar in the local town.
          Some were baptisted in Tring - so not in the village as such

Have you found all the births on freebmd, by the way?
          Yes, pretty much, thank you

There is an Edward/Ellen marriage, but considerably later and not, I think, in the right area.
          Is that the Middlesex one? They didnt seem to move very far at all for generations so it seems unlikely, but yes, possible
          Jess

Comment

Tring marriages are on IGI batch #M073004 has only 2 Tomlins:

FREDERIC TOMLIN & SARAH FOWLER 04 OCT 1874
            JAMES TOMLIN & ELIZABETH SMITH 29 AUG 1869
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

No Ellen Cartright or Stevens on that batch but I did find one of my Chowns, so thanks Jess!

Comment

Is Edmonton or H. Hempstead anywhere near where you want??

Sorry English geography's not my thing.

Comment

What about Oundle???? Never heard of that one LOL.

Comment

Amersham???

Comment

Hemel Hempstead is the nearest large area to Tring.
                      Edmonton is north London
                      Oundle is somewhere in Peterborough area I think.

Comment

Amersham is Bucks, south of Tring.

Comment

There's Edward Tomlin marrying Q1 1870 in H. Hempstead. All the others I found were Daniels.

Comment

Amersham one is Daniel Q4 1868.

Comment

Hemel looks more promising, I think. The Hemel Hempstead reg district covered
                              Bovington, Chipperfield, Flamstead, Flaunden, Gt Gaddesden, Hemel H., Kings Langley & Markyate.

Perhaps they married in a different parish because the bride was pregnant?

Comment

I can't see a birth reg for Tomlin in Herts which would be Edward George on 1871.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                  Hemel looks more promising, I think. The Hemel Hempstead reg district covered
                                  Bovington, Chipperfield, Flamstead, Flaunden, Gt Gaddesden, Hemel H., Kings Langley & Markyate.

Perhaps they married in a different parish because the bride was pregnant?

Gee, I thought Indooroopilly and Wooloongabba were great place names LOL.

Comment

Edward from H Hempstead married either Sarah or Mary Ann, and Daniel from Amersham married Mary Ann.

Comment

Hopes dashed!

Comment

Can't see anything else. I've trawled from 1867 (Ellen wouldn't have married much before that, you'd think) to end of 1871.

Maybe they married later or not at all. Or Ellen was a second name?

Has somebody looked at the image for 1871???

I'll ave a squiz.

Comment

Working...
                                        X