Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A magic moment - Scottish 1855 death cert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A magic moment - Scottish 1855 death cert.

What value for £1.20! My g-g-g-grandfather's death record from September 1855.

Name, occupation, age, birthplace, number of years in town of death, father's name and occupation, mother's name and maiden name, wife's maiden name, names and ages of children (age at death for those who died), date and place of death, place where buried.

I now have an extra 2 children, so back to the IGI to find them.

And his son's actual signature (my g-g-grandfather).

With his parents' and wife's name confirmed, I'm confident that I'm going back with the correct lines.

And finally, can anyone identify Broomknoll burying ground in Airdrie?

This cornucopia was available for one year only, and if he'd died a year earlier I would have got no information at all. Why did I wait this long to look for it?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Uncle John..

have a wee shufty here..

Lanarkshire Family History Society - Forums - Broomknoll Burying Ground - Airdrie

if you go to this site you will find a 150 year history of the church..
    http://www.broomknollchurch.co.uk/
    Last edited by Raven; 30-07-08, 15:19.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

If you look a little way down this page it says the church cemeterywas flattened in 1961 to make way for a parking lot.

Borthwick MIs in Scotland
      Fiona. xx

Comment

Here's the list of inscription Graham made.

BROOMKNOLL PARISH CHURCH
        Fiona. xx

Comment

Thank you for the information, Fiona. No sign of my ggg-grandfather or family in the MI transcriptions. And IGI baptism info. is sparse, with only a couple of submitted entries. The dates look OK but most of the children are missing.

He died intestate with just over £62 to his name. His son, my gg-grandfather built up quite a large property portfolio and his will etc. run to many pages, mostly lists of rents.

Comment

How lucky are you UJ, all for £1.20. Wish l had Scottish rellies. We pay £7 for next to nothing really compared with that
            Pam

Comment

Brilliant Uncle John! Enjoy!

My ggg grandmother conveniently died in 1855 too - her death certificate gave me an extra eight children!
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

UJ.......that's great. Must be where we got our ideas for certs.

I hate having to buy English certs, after getting Australian, NZ, or Scottish ones.

Comment

I too have a death cert for 1855 but it has given me nothing but headaches!

It appears to be a tissue of lies made up of people who never existed, with a surname that never existed anywhere in the world.

Still, at least I only paid £1.20 for it, not £7.

OC

Comment

Come on OC.....put up the details. You know we like a challenge.

Comment

Libby

You've had them already - it's the dreaded SMEAKINS, who were possibly mis-spelled Smithams/Smeechams but who knows! Not me, certainly.

OC

Comment

In English death cert indexes, in 1855 you don't even get the age at death, so you could even fork out £7 for the wrong person, let alone find anything helpful in your research!

Now that's made me think of the abortive Magpie/Dove project so I'm off to sulk.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

*sticks thumb in mouth and joins Nell*

Comment

*breaks down completely and sobs inconsolably on OC's shoulder*
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Well, I went to search for my new baps. in the IGI - zilch apart from a couple of submitted entries that looked correct (I think I've said that already) and a third for a completely different first name.

I've emailed the session clerk at the church on the off-chance that the name rings a bell or he/she can tell me where the old registers are. I'm also going to poke around the NAS index in case they've got the church registers.

*pull yourselves together, women. Stiff upper lip and all that*

Comment

Working...
                              X