Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Marriages help needed

I am trying to tidy away some loose ends in my McKINLAY/MACKINLAY family

1.Isabella (Isabel, Bella) McKinlay was born 2nd May 1877, Glasgow.
    Father: Archibald McKINLAY, plumber
    Mother: Mary FRIZZELL

2. I think she originally went to Canada in 1904,based on a passenger list I found, and a postcard sent back to family, but by the time of the 1911 census , she was living with her parents and unmarried sisters at 193 Versailles Street, Montreal.

3. There is an unsubstantiated member's submission on the IGI that she married a Mr John LOW of Glasgow ca 1900 (obviously this date is wrong).

4. I have a photograph, purporting to be of Isabel Mackinlay (Mrs E.LAW), which belonged to her niece...the writing on the photo is that of said niece.

5. I have a further postcard from 'Bell', sent from Winnipeg in 1924....no surname, but the context of the message makes it definitely from my Isabella.

I would really, really like to clear up this matter of her marriage, but can't think where to start. Also, a death would be helpful. A note from the niece indicated it was 17 Dec 1936, but I can't see where to verify that.

Can anyone who knows their way around Canadian BDMs assist, please?
    Last edited by Macbev; 30-07-08, 08:47.

Beverley

Not very helpful, but I recently found that Alberta has no online BDM service at all, and has restrictions on who can apply for information. Other provinces may have different policies.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thankyou Uncle John.......not good news :o

Beverley

Comment

Can you pick up any info from city directories? The Ask a Librarian service functions in Canada, too.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's an idea, Christine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Beverley

Comment

Manitoba's information doesn't appear to be on line. You could try contacting the Manitoba Genealogical Society: Manitoba Genealogical Society - Welcome!
            They would know whether the records are available and perhaps do a look-up. In British Columbia (and I think the rest of Canada's the same), deaths over 20 years old and marriages over 75 years are public.
            Jenny

Comment

That's a useful suggestion too, Jenny. Thank you.

Beverley

Comment

I've found Manitoba's records on line: Province of Manitoba | Database Searches

but can't see an entry for Isabel Low. Only deaths more than 70 years ago are listed.
                Jenny

Comment

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Thank you so much for that, Jenny. If ever a bow was drawn at a long shot...this was it.

Have found an entry for the marriage of an Ely LAW, married to an Isabella Gillespie McKINLEY in 1924 (the year I knew my Isabella was in Winipeg).. also a death for an Isabelle LAW 17th Dec 1935 (looks as though my informant got everything right but the year).

May all be a sad coincidence....but Isabella's aunt (also an Isabella McKinlay), married a GILLESPIE,and took care of the children of a sister who died young, back in Scotland. I can imagine old Archibald McKinlay naming his eldest daughter for his sister, in memory.

I am posting off an application to Manitoba for marriage and death certificates and keeping my fingers crossed that I have at last tied up this loose end

Beverley

Comment

Glad it was of help. I also found a name of interest (very unusual surname) and now have to investigate to find out if it fits in with my lot.
                    Jenny

Comment

Working...
                    X