New version of Griffiths Valuation online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version of Griffiths Valuation online

I don't think this has been posted before - there's a new free version of Griffiths valuation online which appears to be the full valuation (with links to the maps and complete description of the property):

Not sure how reliable it is, because I had a lot of trouble finding some of my people. I eventually found them in the wrong county; part of the parish of St Peter's Drogheda had been included in Co. Meath instead of Co. Louth.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-07-08, 02:46.

Somebody mentioned this on General recently, but I don't know if many people saw it.

The site does say "Please note - this is currently a prototype/test site, and is still under development." I haven't encountered any parishes being in the wrong county yet, but I did find some parishes that don't have maps linked to them. Hopefully they will iron out these issues as they complete testing.

There is also lots of interesting information elsewhere on the Ask About Ireland site, including the Student Zone.
    Sarah

Comment

Interesting site, but I could not get the maps to appear on my computer. Maybe I have not got the right viewers! I wonder if the next move is to charge! We will have to watch this space. All the ones I already have came up OK but I did notice that on one occasion I tried to input Eliogarty Barony and Tipperary North and Eliogarty would not come up. Like many other sights, I found that by inputting just name and Townland or even just County I got all I wanted. Some of the maps for Tipperary are not on there yet. I have no trouble with maps on Irish Origins.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 30-07-08, 09:20.

Comment

Mary, it could be that the parish of St Peter's used to be in Meath. Just found this on Wikipedia:
        "The River Boyne, split the town in half between County Meath and County Louth until the enactment of the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898 which saw a large area of Drogheda, south of the Boyne signed over to form part of an extended Co Louth."

I've just had a similar problem trying to find people in Kingscourt, Cavan - in the parish of Enniskeen. Couldn't find any matches for the surname I'm looking for. But did find some in Enniskeen, Meath. Turns out Enniskeen is (was) split between the two counties.
        Sarah

Comment

It looks good - found the plot of land which James Skelly lived on...the trick will be to get as much info as possible before they start charging - as they are bound to do!

Thanks for the link Mary!
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

The maps are coming up OK for me, although there are one or two entries that don't have associated maps - these are the ones that I think have been put in the wrong county.

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
            Mary, it could be that the parish of St Peter's used to be in Meath. Just found this on Wikipedia:
            "The River Boyne, split the town in half between County Meath and County Louth until the enactment of the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898 which saw a large area of Drogheda, south of the Boyne signed over to form part of an extended Co Louth."
            Yes, Drogheda was certainly split between County Louth and County Meath, but the parish of St Peters, which is the one I'm interested in, was always in Louth as far as I know. I'd already used the Griffiths index at Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Index Extracts , which shows it in Louth, and the LDS has the parish registers listed under Louth.

Comment

wow that is good...found my Matchetts in the right places....

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
              Raven's Family Tree

Comment

The interesting thing about this site is that it not only links to the maps of the property but also states who the landlord and tenant were, and shows the image of the valuation sheet so you can see who the neighbouring landlords and tenants were.

Comment

Mary,

That IS the value of the FULL Griffiths Valuation as opposed to the Index that most people look at. I have done most of this work in Dublin with the FULL valuation and a small bit on Irish Origins, so it is good to see a free site for Griffiths in this way, though I hope I can access the maps better than I can at present! The maps are the wonderful part of this valuation, as well as knowing the Lessor and the value of the property and land.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    Yes, Drogheda was certainly split between County Louth and County Meath, but the parish of St Peters, which is the one I'm interested in, was always in Louth as far as I know. I'd already used the Griffiths index at Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Index Extracts , which shows it in Louth, and the LDS has the parish registers listed under Louth.
                    Hmmm, that is strange! Sounds like a mistake then - hopefully they'll fix such things during the prototype/testing phase.
                    Sarah

Comment

Working...
                    X