Can anyone help with this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with this please?

MARK CHARLES BAIZLEY Son of Thomas and Sophia, born 1803 at Blackhorse Row, St Paul, Deptford, Kent

Think married a Mary Ann Joice/Joycein 1825 at St Saviours, Southwark, Surrey.

Charles Baizley their ONLY child baptised at St Mary, Newington, Surrey, Oct 19th 1826. Their abode was Manor Place, he was a servant.

In the1841 census no sign of Mark and Mary Ann is with son Charles aged 14 years of age. This at Amelia St, Newington. They are entered as BEASLEY.

At the wedding of Charles in 1854 Mark Charles is entered as deceased.

Charles always said that he was born SIDMOUTH, Devon.

It would seem likely that Mark Baizley died shortly after son Charles was born in Sidmouth Devon in 1826.

Can anyone help find Mark's death and Charles' birth please?

If Charles was born 1826, he won't have been registered, so the baptism you have in 1826 will be the only recorded information. I don't know if you have seen the original register, its possible that it might have his birth date in it.

I am puzzled as to why he would be born in Sidmouth, unless the family were there for the summer holidays with the family Mark worked for.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sidmouth is on FreeReg but I can't see a likely match.

Comment

Apologise Nell, should really sort my paperwork: this is from my cousin Peter. Exactly, we wanted to find out what Mark was doing down there and wondering if he died down there as cant find him in London area.

Born Oct19th 1826

Bap Dec 31st 1826

Gap of 10 weeks
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-07-08, 18:43.

Comment

Well Mark might not have been down there at all - just his wife, giving birth! Maybe she had relatives down there. I think Sidmouth was considered a healthy place because of the sea breezes.

Comment

I would assume he was still alive at the baptism, or the vicar might have made a note.

This is a possible though Islington seems wrong - I suppose he might have changed employer.

Name: Mark Beazley
            1847 Jul-Aug-Sep
            Islington 3 Page: 180

Comment

I dont think they would have the dosh for such niceties Nell. Mum was born in the Rotherhithe area. I know wives tended to go home to mum for the first confinement but Devon was a long old way to go, wasnt it.

The only connection that jumps out is sea faring.

Im going to see if I can find out what went on in Manor Place, Newington - that may give an idea of what Mark was doing at that time. Thanks for your input

Thanks Nell for the death - I did look at that but I felt it was in the wrong place and where was Mark on the 1841 when Mary was working as a laundress and living just with Charles - also only 1 kiddie since they married?

Re the Mark death in Islington - Birth - poor little mite - but not our chap.

ame: Mark Beazley
              Year of Registration: 1847
              Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
              District: Islington
              County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
              Volume: 3
              Page: 218 (
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-07-08, 19:06.

Comment

Only one child that you KNOW of, and whose baptism you found. There might be others baptised elsewhere, or maybe a succession of miscarriages and stillbirths.

I have absent fathers in 1841 and 1851, often with no clear reason (ie they did jobs that would suggest they'd be living at home, or at least on land somewhere).

Comment

beastly Beasleys. They can be spelt in so many different ways.

If Mark was a servant, might his employer have had cause to go to Sidmouth?
                  Alternatively, might theyhave lived apart BECAUSE Mark was a servant? I've read an extraordinary diary of a footman and you would not know he was married. The birth of a son is so coded that anyone picking up the book would not have a clue what was meant. So far as I could tell, he was a live in servant all his working life and his poor wife could only see him on days off!
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Good point, Phoenix.

My gt gt grandfather John Smoothy was working as a butler in 1861 at the seaside whilst his wife and child were living in Richmond. Not sure if it was a temporary arrangement.

But there's also the research Margaret Forster did for her biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning, whose own lady's maid, though married, had to put her mistress' wishes before her own married life. I think she left him behind in England when they went off to Italy.

Comment

If this is the marriage, Mark didn't always use his first hame.

Name: Chas Baizley
                      Spouse: Mary Joice
                      Spouse Comments: sd Joyce; 222
                      Marriage Date: 1825
                      PARISH: Southwark St Saviour
                      [source: Pallot's Marriage Index]

Comment

Not conclusive, but there seem to be a few Baizley and variants on IGI in Devon, maybe Mark/Charles had relatives there? Without baptism for him or census, you don't know his birthplace, but maybe he was born in Devon.

Comment

I would have expected Mary to remarry, if Mark/Charles was dead.

Comment

Um

MARY ANN BAZELY
                            Spouse: JAMES FREDERIC COFFEE
                            Marriage: 24 NOV 1841 Saint James, Bermondsey, Surrey, England
                            Batch No.: M006031
                            Last edited by Little Nell; 29-07-08, 19:30.

Comment

Typical, I can't find this couple in 1851.

Comment

Oh thanks for that Nell! Funnily enough, one of the other Baizleys - a brother of the Mark chap - married two Caffey sisters one after another so this seems very possible- whats the betting this guy is related? Brilliant. thanks.

Mark is the father born Deptford. Charles is the son who shows Sidmouth as his birthplace.

Oh sorry Phoenix, just saw your note. I have had people before who are called a servant - i.e. Mark's father Thomas is shown as a Brewer's servant on one of the kids baptisms. Now I have taken that to mean he was perhaps a little above a labourer in a brewery, perhaps what wed think as a foreman or something - but not a butler/footman type job? Or may be Im wrong.
                                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-07-08, 21:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X