Adams of Kent to Southshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adams of Kent to Southshields

Hi I am researching my mothers relatives that came from Kent and moevd up to Southshields. I have quite a lot so far but there are still a few gaps, Its a long list so here goes,
    Have all Census records For John Adams Born 1801 I think Minster shore in Kent. In 1841 Lived in Ash near Sandwich and was married to Bethia Ratcliff born 1811 in Preston near Ash.
    In the 1841 census they had Francis Adams aged 10.I have no more census results on him until I have found one for 1871 I think it is him, having married a Sarah and had 2 children Mary Elizabeth Adams aged 12 and Louisa Emily Adams aged 8.
    Next in the family was Jesse Adams born 1833, I have full Census records on him. He married a Lydia Ledner who had 3 Children from a previous marriage,Mary A Ledner born 1869, Lydia Ledner born 1871, and Janna Ledner born 1883. They also had Sarah E Adams in 1879, Annie Adams 1876, Charlotte F Adams in 1880, Frank Adams in 1888, and Violet Adams in 1885,
    John Adams is next born 1837 missing 1861 census but have himin 1871 census married to an Ellen Philpot and living in Whitstable, having children, George H Adams born 1861 and Walter S. F Adams born 1866. Then in the 1881 census having Florance Adams in 1873. John Adams was a Mariner and have found him on 1891 census in Gravesend onboard ship Blonde. I have found that most of his family went to Dorset through Ancestry.com.
    William Adams my greatgrandfather is next born 1838 in Ash Kent. I have 1841 census, 1851 census, 1861 census Lodging with Johns wife Ellen in Whitstable and then in 1871 married to Rosana Amilia Philpot Ellens sister having son William J Adams born 1865, Edward R Adams in 1868 and Arther Adams in 1870. I have just found William and his son William John Adams in the 1881 Wales census onboard the ship Eleanor in Milford Haven. Also I have found William in the 1891 census in Westoe Southshields Durham as a lodger but cannot find about Amelia and the family for 1891. Then againin 1901 found William in Greewich onoard Ethel but nothing on Amelia and family. William had 7 children William John Adams 1865, Edward R Adams in 1868, Arther Adams 1870, Alfred Adams 1877 married Mary Ann Maguire, Josiah Adams 1878, Albert Adams 1881, and David Adams my grandfather who was a black sheep as he was sent to france to be educated and run off to sea to be a cabin boy on the ship Cautious. I know that that the sons went to southshields to live and were a mile from where David lived but they did not keep in touch as my mother has no recollection of them visiting. Phew, hope any information might be of help to others searching Paul.

Just to make it easier to read

Hi I am researching my mothers relatives that came from Kent and moevd up to Southshields. I have quite a lot so far but there are still a few gaps, Its a long list so here goes,

Have all Census records For John Adams Born 1801 I think Minster shore in Kent. In 1841 Lived in Ash near Sandwich and was married to Bethia Ratcliff born 1811 in Preston near Ash.

In the 1841 census they had Francis Adams aged 10.I have no more census results on him until I have found one for 1871 I think it is him, having married a Sarah and had 2 children Mary Elizabeth Adams aged 12 and Louisa Emily Adams aged 8.

Next in the family was Jesse Adams born 1833, I have full Census records on him. He married a Lydia Ledner who had 3 Children from a previous marriage, Mary A Ledner born 1869, Lydia Ledner born 1871, and Janna Ledner born 1883. They also had Sarah E Adams in 1879, Annie Adams 1876, Charlotte F Adams in 1880, Frank Adams in 1888, and Violet Adams in 1885,

John Adams is next born 1837 missing 1861 census but have himin 1871 census married to an Ellen Philpot and living in Whitstable, having children, George H Adams born 1861 and Walter S. F Adams born 1866. Then in the 1881 census having Florance Adams in 1873. John Adams was a Mariner and have found him on 1891 census in Gravesend onboard ship Blonde. I have found that most of his family went to Dorset through Ancestry.com.

William Adams my greatgrandfather is next born 1838 in Ash Kent. I have 1841 census, 1851 census, 1861 census Lodging with Johns wife Ellen in Whitstable and then in 1871 married to Rosana Amilia Philpot Ellens sister having son William J Adams born 1865, Edward R Adams in 1868 and Arther Adams in 1870.

I have just found William and his son William John Adams in the 1881 Wales census onboard the ship Eleanor in Milford Haven. Also I have found William in the 1891 census in Westoe South shields Durham as a lodger but cannot find about Amelia and the family for 1891. Then again in 1901 found William in Greewich on board Ethel but nothing on Amelia and family.

William had 7 children William John Adams 1865, Edward R Adams in 1868, Arther Adams 1870, Alfred Adams 1877 married Mary Ann Maguire, Josiah Adams 1878, Albert Adams 1881, and David Adams my grandfather who was a black sheep as he was sent to france to be educated and run off to sea to be a cabin boy on the ship Cautious.
    I know that that the sons went to southshields to live and were a mile from where David lived but they did not keep in touch as my mother has no recollection of them visiting.

Phew, hope any information might be of help to others searching Paul.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Is this John Adams in 1861 - an able seaman aboard the Eliza Yarm? age 22 and married

born Ash - rest of crew born whitstable

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 4452; Folio: 79; Page: ; GSU roll: 543288.
      .................................................. .................................................. .........................

Couldn't see a marriage for Francis to Sarah but found Mary Elizabeth Ratcliffs birth Blean, Kent, Mar qtr 1859 2a 586 and Louisa Emily Ratcliffs birth Blean, Kent, Sept qtr 1862 2a 574

Could Francis have become a solider - there's one here born Maidstone Kent in 1861 census in 2nd Life Guards at Windsor

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 761; Folio: 167; Page: 13; GSU roll: 542697.
      Last edited by JBee; 29-07-08, 19:14.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I think it would be easier if you said what information you were still looking for.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

looking for

Thanks for the replies, the John Adams 1861 looks like it might be.

Francis was born in Ash in Kent so I do not think the soldier was him.

The Ratcliff names could have been Bethias sisters.

As i said looking for Williams family who moved up to Southshields some time between 1890 to 1910. I have found William lodging in Westoe but have no census info on Amelia and family. I know the sons married and lived in Westoe from a relative but its a bit vague, William John Adams, Edward, Arther,Josiah, Alfred, and Albert.
          I know they were all seamen so they might have been onboard ships in ports around the country.
          Cheers Paul.

Comment

Hi JBee How do I get the source information that you gave me on John Adams Cheers Paul

Comment

The RG numbers JBee quoted are references to the 1861 census. You can see this on Ancestry Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk either by taking out a subscription or on a payperview basis.

Alternatively there are other sites which host the census (see the Wiki, 5th tab along on the bar at the top of this webpage). Censuses are all at The National Archives at Kew and county record offices/archives have the ones relevant to their area.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

census

Thanks Little Nell. Paul

Comment

Sorry Paul I can't get any joy on the census's for the various children of William, - thought I would have got Josiah or Edwin/Edward but no - mind you ancestry has changed and its driving me bonkers.

Don't think Mary Elizabeth Ratcliffe b 1859 and Louisa Emily Ratcliffe b 1862 can be Bethia's sisters - age gap too much and you said they were calling themselves Adams - can't find any births in name of Adams.

If I get chance tomorrow when heads clearer to see what I can find.

Comment

William Adams Family

Hi J Bee, Thanks for your efforts, I know I could not find anything. I think its because with being from a sea going family they could have moved to anywhere in the country in between those years or could have been onboard ships at sea when censuses were taken perhaps.

Its a pity my Grandfather was the black sheep and his brothers never seemed to visit him and they only lived a mile or so from where he lived in Westoe. The censuses only go to 1901 so do you know where I should look to find them in Southshields from 1901. so I may find their relatives.

Mary Elizabeth, and Lousia Emily are a puzzle and will look into them later. Thats the problem with daughters you can only go so far when they marry its hard to trace them further.

Big Thanks again Cheers Paul.

Comment

1901 Census in South Shields

Arthur Adams and family -wife Ester
                      Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4736; Folio: 146; Page: 14.

Edwin Adams and family - wife Isabella
                      Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4733; Folio: 92; Page: 33.

William J Adams and family - wife Ann
                      Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4734; Folio: 107; Page: 19.

1891 Census

William Adams b 1838 Ash - Westoe
                      Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 4154; Folio 137; Page 15; GSU roll: 6099264.

William J Adams and wife Ann J Westoe
                      Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 4159; Folio 44; Page 40; GSU roll: 6099269.

Comment

find

Hi JBee, Fantastic thanks a lot. Paul

Comment

John Adams Marriage and death

Finding it hard to find John Adams born about 1801 Marriage and death certificates.
                          He Married a Bethia Ratcliff in Ash near Sandwich about 1832.
                          Died about 1890 in Ash near Sandwich.
                          Cheers Paul.
                          Last edited by willowmac; 18-08-08, 21:40.

Comment

Working...
                          X