Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder if this was his last night on earth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder if this was his last night on earth...

Thomas Garner is in Packington at the time of the 1851 census, and he is aged 88 and a retired farmer.

The 1851 census was taken on the 30th March 1851:

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2084; Folio: ; Page: 32

Thomas was buried on the 4th April 1851, so only just made the 1851 census. I wonder if it was his last night on earth.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Thomas clearly had a healthy regard for any descendants - holding on long enough to give his place of birth. Conversely, I have great aunt aged 1 day on the 1891 census.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes Phoenix - I have found a few who have babies who are given as 1 or 2 days old etc.

I also have one where the name is given as "A New Born Baby". LOL

My gg grandad was born the day after the 1881 census, so I often wonder if ggg granny was in labour when the enumerator came round. ;)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Humph - my gg grandfather is on the 1841 census but the 1851 for his area is too damaged to read. He died one month before the 1861 so I have no clue as to where he was born :(.

Anne

Comment

My 3x gt grandmother Sophia Smith made it onto the 1881 census (3 April) as head of household despite having died on the 2nd April! Can't decide whether her body was still in the house so her daughter decided she should still be listed, or if the household return had been filled in when it was received and handed over to the enumerator without anyone realising it was now wrong!
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Perhaps they were thinking of future family historians, Judith!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Interesting Post. My records indicate Thomas was baptized on March 8, 1763. Parents: Hastings and Ruth Garner. If my research, so far is any kind of accurate, I also am a direct descendant of this line. Would love to hear from you and compare noted and what have you. Thanks for Listening. Richard Garner

Comment

Working...
              X