Marriage Bond question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Bond question!

I've found in London signatures on the LMA website what I think is a marriage bond dated 21 April 1779 at St John the Baptist, Egham, Surrey. There is a marriage on IGI for a couple with the same names the following day at West Molesey (from IGI) approx 10 miles away.
    Now I'm not clear about marriage bonds! Am I right in thinking that the groom came from Egham and applied for a licence there and then went to the bride's parish of West Molesey for the marriage? Or have I got it completely wrong
    Sue

Do you have the whole document, or have you just looked at the index? Usually it would give the parish of both parties. I thought that it also stated the places where they could marry - one ancestor was clearly hesitant, and had a choice of three!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

NB You would actually apply for a licence from the bishop - so presumably at Lambeth.
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I'm only looking at the index at the moment Phoenix. I'm not certain that there is a connection! The groom in question has the same surname as one of my ancestors and the same trade -hairdresser - and Egham is not far from where my chap states as his place of birth in 1851 census!
        I'll happily buy the document if it's likely to give me more information
        Sue

Comment

Most of these entries appeared in a printed book. My couple in 1734 were Jerimiah Hedger and Anne Chrismas. I think you would also get consent of guardian stuff. The index isn't showing either where the marriage is to take place. What I can't remember whether the printed book gave ages or not.
          Surrey History Centre and SoG Library have copies of the book, but it would be quicker to order the doc!

If the surname is unusual, then I would think there is a family connection.

Comment

Well I downloaded it and just my luck - it didn't give me much more info. It confirms that he is of Egham Parish and that she is of West Molesey and that they both 21 years and upwards! The licence was granted by the Bishop of Winton.

So I still don't know if there's a connection. The surname is Webster and the trade did seem to be passed on from father to son(s). Hopefully the dots will join up one day!
            Sue

Comment

Working...
            X