Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First marriage dissolved by decree of High Court ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First marriage dissolved by decree of High Court ??

This man was divorced by his wife for adultery in 1936 and decree absolute was in 1937.
    He married the lady concerned in The Register Office Willesden in 1939 , it says in the condition column ,The divorced husband of ????.
    We then found another marriage record of this man and woman in 1949, in the condition column this says ,Whose marriage at the Register Office Willesden on 11th March 1939 was dissolved by the decree of the high Court in England on the 5th February 1948.
    Why would the first one have been dissolved any ideas ?????????

Was the 2nd wife free to marry in 1939? Perhaps she too was serarated & needing a divorce? .... just a thought, interesting query!
    Bridget

Comment

sorry I have confused you he married the same woman twice once in 1939 then again in 1949 ???

Comment

My point was - If when he remarried in 1939, after his divorce, the new bride may not have been free, so he had to remarry her when she was free .....?
        Bridget

Comment

I think the fact that the 1939 marriage was dissolved means that it was a valid marriage. If, after the marriage, it was discovered that one or other party wasn't legally free to marry, the marriage would have been annulled. As far as I can tell a dissolved marriage is just one that has ended by divorce.

Maybe they got divorced and then changed their minds?

Jackie
          Jackie

Comment

she the woman he married was single and had never been married, Suppose they could have divorced then remarried ????????????

Comment

Perhaps they married too young and then got divorced and perhaps after the war met up again and decided to give it another go.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

he was 47 and had four children by his first wife when he married this lady who was 32 in the 1939 marriage.

Comment

My uncle divorced his wife and then married her again. So quite possible he married her twice.

Now they're divorced again.
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

my husband has suggested maybe it was for tax reasons ??? he was very wealthy

Comment

Working...
                    X