X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavan and Sligo census

Just got an email from the IFHF

New census records added to Irish Genealogical Online Record Search System

The Irish Family History Foundation's Online Research Service (ORS) are pleased to announce the availability of the Sligo census records for 1901 and the Cavan census records for 1901 and 1911.

Dances a huge jig around the front room!!!!

Ooh Sligo census have you got a web address for that please.

I have Thomas Stenson who was born Curry, Tubbercurry in Sligo in 1891. Hopefully with parents Patrick & Margaret.

Thanks
    Jewels

Comment

For those that did not see my earlier post for the Cork Census coming online also through the Irish Family History Foundation.

"Please remember that the Irish Family History Foundation with all its problems of looking for the right Murphy/O'Neill/Ryan etc is the PAYING site that the census for Sligo, Cavan and other places for 1901 and 1911 are being released. You may well have to pay many many Euros before you get the right Murphy. If you can all be patient and wait for the FREE site that is also producing the same census, possibly with more accuracy, then you will all be better off. I am personally more intetested in waiting for the FREE ones through the Dublin National Archives at:

The above website will give you an idea as to all the counties coming online and when.

Antrim Down and kerry are hopefully coming online October but we all know what happened when Dublin came online so we just have to be patient.

I have waited so long and I can wait a little longer.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 29-07-08, 09:58.

Comment

You can also search FREE transcriptions of the 1901 Sligo census here: LR 1901 Census Search Form
        (according to the home page Sligo is now complete for 1901)

Jewels - I think I've just spotted your Patrick, Margaret and Thomas!
        Last edited by Cloggie; 29-07-08, 10:36.
        Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah
          Thanks for the link, I have just found them too

I now know his siblings names which I didnt before and Patrick & Margarets approx ages.

Thanks again

Julie

Comment

You're welcome! I'm glad the link was useful.
            Sarah

Comment

Don't suppose there are any Irish BMDs online ?

I'm looking for Dublin (from abt 1880 - 1920) and Carlow (c 1871)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

There are lots of Irish BMDs online: Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation
                (Dublin's online but Carlow's not)
                But at EUR 5 a record you'll want to be pretty sure who/when you're looking for. You can narrow the search by townland if you use the individual county sites (click on the map) rather than searching on the main site.
                Sarah

Comment

There are some Carlow records here: Births, Baptisms, Marriages & Deaths  Records Carlow
                  Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah .... will give the Dublin ones a miss then ! :(

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                      Don't suppose there are any Irish BMDs online ?

I'm looking for Dublin (from abt 1880 - 1920) and Carlow (c 1871)

Rachel, if you can get to Hyde park Family history centre. They have all the Irish BMD indexes on Mircro film. Which is a bit of a slog going through them... But useful. They also have for some years microfilm of the actual registers which you can take a copy of for about 30p :D alot cheaper than a cert.

If you click through their catalogue It will also tell you what they hold for each County Ireland - Hyde Park Family History Centre

By using the Irish census online thingy - that you have to pay for I then went through each parish for a name. Next time I go to Hyde Park, I now know which parishes for the census I need to concentrate on. So whilst it's a pay site you can narrow which bits you need to flick through just by doing a wee bit of work.

Unfortuantly they don't have the Cork census there but I know from the PPV one that Hubbys grandfater is there. So it's worth the 5euro to have a look to see who he's with as he's the only Peppard there. Or write to the local centre and see if they will send me a photo copy of the entry.

Off to work! Catch you all laters!

Comment

Rachel

Following on from Peppie's suggestion, if you cannot get to the LDS Centre in Kensington very easily, then you can order Irish BMD through any Family History Centre in the UK for records post 1864, the only proviso is that you would need to know the townland your folk came from, or at least a parish. Each microfilm copy would cost you about a couple of pounds to order. You can make enquiries at your nearest LDS centre.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 30-07-08, 08:08.

Comment

My goodness I can be so dopey !

Completely forgot there's an LDS centre not too far from us

This would probably be a good starting point ....

Thanks for the suggestions Peppie and Janet ... will write myself a big note so I remember

Comment

Working...
                          X