An interesting newspaper article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting newspaper article

In the Northern Echo this week ... a message in a bottle was found under the church, St Helen's Auckland while restoration work was being done. It was written in 1866 by the joiner and mason doing some restoration work at that time. The scanned piece of the letter in the paper is hard to read but it gives an account of work done and names of the people who carried it out. They re-buried it as requested but I'm sure a copy will have been made for Durham Archives.

Two names are quite clear .... I will try to attach it for anyone interested.

Jean
    Attached Files
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Hi Jean
    It's very fuzzy .. are you able to type the article out for us to read ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think this is the same one:

Church reveals its 142-year-old secret (From The Northern Echo)

Comment

Interestiing they thought the bottle was for ginger beer originally as JW Townend (1861 census) was a druggist and farmer. I suppose he may have made and sold ginger beer from his (druggist) shop?

Update - he was a druggist and grocer in 1851!

Comment

Amongst many other things, my ancestor sold baking powder, sparkling waters (which may have included ginger pop!) and if the evidence of a glass dish is to be believed, ice creams.

In America, wasn't the soda fountain in the druggists'?
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for the link Merry
            Strange they didn't show a close-up of the bottle, although it doesn't look that interesting

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Sorry... been away....thanks Merry for the link ..... I always have trouble sizing pictures to attach.

I thought they would have have given a transcript of the letter ..but no such luck but the two names at the top of the mason and joiner ..are clear.

Oh I've just looked at the link and it doesn't show the letter..the mason was Robert Thompson and the joiner was Ralph? Nelson from Bishop Auckland (it doesn't quite look like Ralph but there is a Ralph Nelson in Bishop who is a master joiner and employer.)
              Jean
              Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 29-07-08, 22:32.

Comment

Try to put the names up
                Attached Files

Comment

looks like Mr. Nelson

Comment

Yes Rachel, it probably says 'Mr' .... never thought of that.

Jean

Comment

Working...
                    X