Great uncle was in the RAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great uncle was in the RAF

My great uncle, FRANK WALKER, was in the RAF before, and during the second world war.

He was a rear gunner and was also a prisoner of war and we would like to try and find out what we can about him

I *think* my Nana is the next of kin - Nana's sister was his wife and they had no children.

We have some of his medals and they have his number on so if anyone can give me any pointers they would be appreciated.

I have had a look in the wiki, but it doesn't say how to go about finding records and stuff.

Hope someone can help,

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

If you are wanting to apply for his service records then check the following link

Service records - RAF
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen

I am a bit confused by the kinshop report. Would it be in Nana's name and put in the column Sister (she is in fact sister in law) or would it go in Mum's name in the neice box?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I really couldn't say Tom, i have never had to apply for any service records, i'll have to throw that open to offers.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

If I remember correctly, you only have to sign a declaration stating you believe you are the next of kin. I would use your nana as she is closer (imho) I do know you have to include a copy (photocopy/scan) of the serviceman's death cert and supply his/her service number, if known, and and date of birth.

I don't think they would query anything unless it looked downright dodgy, or they had several people all claiming to be next of kin! After all, they will be wanting your £30 (or whatever the sum now is)!

My dad's papers came in a week or so from the RAF, so maybe they are not as inundated as the army?

Comment

Working...
          X