1905 Christening. Help with ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1905 Christening. Help with ages

This is the christening of my great-aunt Doris Williams in 1905.

Well, it would be if I could get photobucket to work! I can do a direct link but I want to post the photo on here!!! What am I doing wrong? *wails*
    Last edited by samesizedfeet; 27-07-08, 13:03.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

sorted it for you now
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks - how did you sort it?

Anyway, I am wanting to identify the children in the photo. Either side of the mum with baby (my gt grandmother Ellen, who looks very frail and died of heart disease the following year) are two girls and there's another girl, partially hidden, to the right.
      Behind the 2nd girl there's 3 boys and a young lad. The baby is Doris and these children are siblings but I can't work them out.
      There should be
      Charley b 1886
      Florence 1890
      Herbert 1893
      Angus 1896
      Carrie 1900 and
      Edna 1902

I'm as sure as I can be that Angus, my maternal grandfather, is the lad with the cap immediately to the right of Ellen, but the other boy next to him would be too young to be Herbert.

Chap standing on far left of photo is gt grandfather Charles "Fiddler" Williams. The other ladies are I think sisters of his and Ellen's but I can't name which of their zillions of sisters they are!

Comment

Nell this is perhaps a year or so earlier:
        Kitty b1891 at back
        Edie b 1895
        Ted b 1893
        Charlie 1896
        Nell (!) b 1899

The boys seem much smaller than the girls

Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The boy with the cap looks the elder child. Are you sure Angus isn't in the sailor suit?
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix

I didn't spot the sailor suit, but I know my mother told me Angus remembered his mother had made him a sailor suit for a christening. It's just the lad with the cap looks so like him, and the lad in the sailor suit doesn't!

Comment

Children can change so much. If Angus remembered a sailor suit (and what boys remember clothes!) then it probably was made not long before his mother died.

Comment

Don't know why that stuck in his mind. Poor Ellen, she does look worn out. Her husband married again (daughter of a Jack the Ripper suspect) and Angus didn't get on with her at all.

The lady on the far right looks rather like Ellen and may be a sister or half-sister. (Ellen's father married 3 times and fathered 15 children). The other women look darker and more robust, like Charles. But of course, the photo might include unrelated godparents or family friends.

Comment

does that make them any clearer?
                  Jess

Comment

Thank you very much Jess, yes it does.
                    The little girl on the left of the baby is, I think, Carrie and she is the spitting image of my Mum as a little girl!

Comment

Charley b 1886 would be abt 19
                      Florence 1890 wd be 15
                      Herbert 1893 wd be 12
                      Angus 1896 wd be 9
                      Carrie 1900 wd be abt 5
                      Edna 1902 wd be 3

I'm thinking chap 2nd left is Charley, smaller chap with cap is Angus (def. my grandfather, I think) and larger chap with cap is Bert. Girl with smart hat and face obscured is Flo, girl front left is Carrie, girl next to Ellen is Edna.
                      I think the other boy and girl must be children of Charles & Ellen's siblings or else family friends.

But the two women, extreme left and 2nd from right do look like Charles, don't they? He had 3 sisters, Emma b 1859, Prudence Elizabeth b 1865 and Sarah Ann b 1870.

The candidate for Ellen's sister (actually, half sister) cd be Charity 1870, Fanny Louisa 1872, or Sarah Kate 1877. I know Ellen was v. close to Charity and to Fanny.

Comment

Doris was born 4 May 1905, and I think she looks just a few weeks old in photo, doesn't she?

Comment

Working...
                        X