Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone clever required for a possibly impossible task! !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone clever required for a possibly impossible task! !

There's this death on FreeBMD:

Deaths Sep 1864
    LONG Harriett Strong E. Stonehouse 5b 194

I'm trying to work out who the death belongs to.....I realise it might be impossible without the death cert, but I wondered if anyone clever can spot anything?

The reason I ask is that Harriet Strong Long nee Dimond (wife of John Long) was supposed to have died in Q3 1838 (there's no obvious death reg though, but there is a burial in Slimbridge Gloucestershire, but it's not known if the burial includes the middle name), but this other death with exactly the right name is bothering me! lolol

*quietly tiptoes out again*
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

There is a John Long and Harriett Long in East Stonehouse on 1841 census

Both born out of county

His occupation is given as Army I think

I can't find East Stonehouse or even Stonehouse on a current map of Devon
      Zoe in London

Comment

East Stonehouse is in Devon and there are 3 Harriet Longs in Devon on 1861 census. Two of them are children, so can't be John's spouse.

One of them is down as "mother" to William White Long:
        RG9; Piece: 1382; Folio: 42; Page: 22;
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Stonehouse is in Plymouth area. Comes up as East Stonehouse on google maps if you specify Devon.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
            There is a John Long and Harriett Long in East Stonehouse on 1841 census

Both born out of county

His occupation is given as Army I think

Oooh well done........Rushes to look.............. I didn't think of checking the 1841 - I just kept bashing at the 1861 (unsuccessfully!)

Comment

okay - I'm wondering if there's perhaps some mistake on FreeBMD here as there is a Stonehouse in Gloucs very near to the location of the Harriett Long on the original thread
              Zoe in London

Comment

Just remind us, do we know anything about the husband of Harriet nee Dimond? Has he been found on censuses and if so, is he shown as a widower?
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Zoe, places in freebmd are registration districts, so a Stonehouse in Gloucestershire is just coincidence.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I take it back - it's just a coincidence. Everyone else with teh same page/volume as Harriett is in East STonehouse too
                    Zoe in London

Comment

Phoenix

I know. I was just trying to think outside the box
                      Zoe in London

Comment

OK - quick resume:

Certainties:

John Long married Mary Ann White in 1845 in Alveston (Thornbury District).

In every census after this John is born in Westbury on Trym about 1827.

For an unknown reason John and Mary are on the census with surname Cook in 1851 and 1861, but Long after that. Their children are all registered as Long.

There is a bap in 1827 in WoT for John Long the son of John and Harriet.

The only marriage Chrissy has found is in Bristol 1825 John Long to Harriet Strong Dimond. She says she believed Harriet died in 1838 and John remarried to an Ann to fit with a John b 1827 with "parents" John and Ann on the 1841 at Berkeley. This is some distance from WoT but near where Mary White came from and where they married.

Now I've seen the army couple in 1841 I'm thinking the 1825 marriage could belong to them and have no connection to John Long of WoT.

The Cook thing is really bugging me!

(BTW Phoenix 914-916 received )

Comment

Now I've been shown that a John and Harriet do exist they are not hiding so hard!

John 45 labourer b Somerset Dansten
                          Harriet 45 b Clifton Bristol

living in East Stonehouse, Devon

Comment

Hmmmmm struggling with 1861 and there's no death for John Long in East Stonehouse District, so maybe they went somewhere else for a while?

Comment

Ah, I've found them now!

Harriet and John Lay and she is born in Clifford rather than Clifton!!! lol

Mind you, the handwriting is poor. :(

So....they are still in East Stonehouse and I think this must surely be the couple who married in 1825.

(Do others agree??)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Zoe

Now......who's going to tell Chrissy? :o:o

Comment

another possibility is that the name Harriet on the baptism from 1827 is wrong.

Are there other John/Harriet births in the parish?
                                Zoe in London

Comment

I don't know. I have a feeling I asked Chrissy and she said John's was the only one.

Comment

right - I've had a look at all the Long baptisms in Westbury and JOhn's is the only one for that era. nearest is in 1818

and then no others until the 1850s.
                                    Zoe in London

Comment

Oooh, where are you looking for those? Is it a cd?

Comment

Are the 1850's++ ones John's children?

Comment

Working...
                                        X