Kingston, Surrey Infirmary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingston, Surrey Infirmary?

I've been searching for ages for the death of James Butcher b1807. He lived in Lambeth/Southwark for most of his life. In 1881 he's living in Southwark with his daughter and her husband. Not around in 1891. There is a James Butcher about the right age died 1885 Q4 in Kingston and I wondered if there was an infirmary or similar there that the elderly of Southwark might have been sent to? I have Googled but without much luck.
    I've already got a couple of wrong certs so before I send for this one wondered if anyone knew whether I was barking up the right tree!

Thanks
    Sue

You can search the National Archives hospital database to see if there is/was a hospital in the right area; if there is, click on it to find out where the records are kept:

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records Database | Search

Comment

Kingston reg district included

Coombe
      East Molesey
      Esher
      Ham with Hatch
      Hampton
      Hampton Wick
      Hook
      Kingston upon Thames
      Long Ditton
      Malden
      New Malden
      Surbiton
      Teddington
      Thames Ditton
      Tolworth
      West Molesey
      Wimbledon
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Mary - I've checked that and both Hospitals were founded after 1885. I suppose I was thinking of a workhouse/infirmary - I expect I'll send for the certificate just to satisfy my curiosity!
        Sue

Comment

there was an infirmary as part of the workhouse - but I'm pretty sure the workhouse covered Kingston Union so I"m not sure they'd have someone come down from Southwark
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

The infirmary part of the workhouse dates back to the 1840s.

I'm not sure if the current hospital stands on the original site but a lot of the buildings that make up the current place are old victorian buildings
            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Nell,

I realise that I'm clutching a straws here and that Southwark/Lambeth wouldn't come under the same registration district as Kingston but I thought that some London Boroughs might have had an understanding with their more "countrified" neighbours to send a few of their infirm to convalesce etc!

I
              Sue

Comment

He may have been staying with a friend when he was taken ill, or even living there. Kingston was probably healthier than Southwark, being a little more rural then.

Comment

Thanks for looking Zoe, one of the Kingston Hospitals opened in 1889...maybe thats the one you're thinking of?
                  Sue

Comment

Sue

Our paths crossed! Not sure they would have spent any money on a healthy visit, myself. I suppose you could see if you could find a matching burial somewhere.

Comment

I keep crossing posts with people!! Like I said - I'll have send for the certificate - I was just trying to save a few pounds!

Thanks all
                      Sue

Comment

Nell - you could count the number of burials I've found on one hand, lol! And James Butcher isn't exactly and uncommon name!
                        Sue

Comment

Sue, I'm finding the same thing with Epsom: several Londoners with distinctive surnames dying in the Epsom RD. There were a lot of hospitals built in what would then have been a rural area that catered for the urban sick.
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Well thats encouraging Phoenix! .....reaching for credit card!
                            Sue

Comment

Working...
                            X