X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation help 1901, please

Annie E Bartram aged 22

RG13; Piece: 168; Folio: 97; Page: 12

I've got the rest of the family okay but there's an enumeration mark across hers and I'm struggling.

I think it begins Ch but it could also be Cl

Thanks in advance

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Hi Zoe

Definately starts with a CH and I think it ends with -ding.

That bit in the middle is a mystery though - sorry.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Isn't it Charing?

The enumerators mark is a X but the thinner line has a hook at the right hand end, making the i in charing look like a d

Comment

Merry,

are you suggesting that one of my forebears was a charlady???

Hmmmm - I wonder if it's Chaving and I can lay claim to Britain's original chav
        Zoe in London

Comment

One can do without left handed clerks.

I reckon is charring, tho there's nothing to stop her being a chav as well!
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Charring was my best guess too.

I was amused by the body ironer - I could do with the services of one of those!

I had a google to see if there were any other terms associated with laundry occupations that might fit and was surprised to learn that, in the 18th century at least, the backs of men's shirts were made long so that they could be brought through the legs and serve as underwear.
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I saw the body ironer too!! lol

in the 18th century at least, the backs of men's shirts were made long so that they could be brought through the legs and serve as underwear.
              That's just gross, isn't it! lol

Comment

when I was still fairly green in the genealogy stakes I looked up the family on the 1901 census and found my great grandfathers sister Grace was a "Liver Coller Machinist"

Yuck!!! And who KNEW that livers had collars

Turns out she was a Linen Collar Machinist
                Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

That's just gross, isn't it! lol
                  You'd have thought it would chafe terribly! Going commando would have been impossible too - the bustle would have been a dead giveaway! I had always naively assumed that the longer back on the old shirts was so that they didn't come untucked.

Zoe - lol at the liver collar! (I triple checked the body ironer before I posted in case I was misreading it and making an idiot of myself!)
                  Gillian
                  User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Zoe
                    My paternal grandmother was a linen collar machinist too, from the age of 14 until she married aged 31.

I think charing is just a way of saying your woman was a scrubber, lol!
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

okay - now I'm intrigued as my Linen Collar Machinist is from up your way (lived around the Barnets when they were still classed as Herts).

Although I'm sure if you'd come across a LInkson in your tree you might have mentioned it before now
                      Zoe in London

Comment

Up my way? Hardly!

My linen collar machinist, Annie Eliza Matthews, was born at Georges Road, Lower Holloway. She moved about a bit in her childhood, spent her married life in Stoke Newington and then moved sarf of the river to end her days in north east Surrey.

I was born in Redhill, Surrey and brought up in Sanderstead, just south of Croydon. Only moved to Hitchin in 1986.

If I had any links with Linksons you'd be first to know, believe me!!!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                        X