Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista

This isn't a request for help (I don't have Vista), but today I was talking with my friendly bank manager, and we were bemoaning the fact that the bank's computers were playing up!!! Anyway in the course of associated conversation it transpired that his home laptop was wiped completely clean two weeks ago, by Windows Vista doing an update. 7 years of work, and photos etc., all gone. He is, as you may imagine, extremely upset and angry.

So, all you people with Vista, it's even more imperative that you have everything backed up
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Sally,
    A useful warning notice. I had problems with one large Windows Update and it just scambled my folders.
    I have just noticed that the Sample Pictures that come with Windows have suddenly been scattered from the Sample Folder and are in various picture folders.

It sounds to me as if your Bank Manager may be using XP.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 02-08-08, 21:14.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thars probably the one that mucked up mine a couple of weeks back, couldnt get on my computer at all, had to ring the techis in the end and use the boot cd. Your manager may have acted a bit too quickly - probably had he just rebooted with the disc he would have got everything back.

Comment

I think that he tried absolutely everything, and was on to the helpline for absolutely ages but in the end they told him that there was nothing they could do.

Still, I have my own computer nerd (and I don't mean that disrespectfully!) who is going to sort out my BM's problem with luck. I wonder if this will reflect in my bank balance??
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

That story seems a bit weird, to be honest, because Vista is nowhere near 7 years old, so if he has 7 years worth of stuff on a Vista laptop then either it is an old laptop that was upgraded to Vista (and how many 7-yr-old laptops will accomodate it?), in which case it seems amazing that he didn't back the stuff up before he upgraded, or it is a newish laptop that came with Vista, in which case you would think he would have old copies of the data from before he moved it over to his new laptop?

But thanks for the warning, anyway!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Well it is a reminder to back up to internet or cd isnt it.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              That story seems a bit weird, to be honest, because Vista is nowhere near 7 years old, so if he has 7 years worth of stuff on a Vista laptop then either it is an old laptop that was upgraded to Vista (and how many 7-yr-old laptops will accomodate it?), in which case it seems amazing that he didn't back the stuff up before he upgraded, or it is a newish laptop that came with Vista, in which case you would think he would have old copies of the data from before he moved it over to his new laptop?

But thanks for the warning, anyway!

Not necessarily, Kate.
              Before she went overseas, my friend bought her first lappy and the peeps she bought it from just used a cable and tranferred all her files from her desktop PC. They then wiped her hard drive on her PC and reformatted it ready for selling. So, in fact she has no backup files either.

Comment

Kate, his laptop is brand new (and top of the range so he informed me, importantly!), but it came with Vista. He, I think, transferred all his files onto it himself.

The computer expert chappie says that he has a bank of new laptops with Vista, all waiting for him to sort them out. I don't understand any of it to be honest, but just wanted people to be careful that's all

Comment

Sally I have done all the upgrdes that they have downloaded and had no problems on my vista at all even the very last big one , think its luck of the draw ;;
                  borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi Babbles, yes I think that you are right. Long may yours continue to treat you well - and it does seem to be the luck of the draw. Either everything is tickety boo and runs like clockwork, or you lose the lot!

Comment

Working...
                    X