Hagues in Stalybridge/ Ashton under Lyne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagues in Stalybridge/ Ashton under Lyne

My grandfather Arthur Hague, was born at 16 Astley Street, Stalybridge in 1907.
    I know he was a twin and his brother was called John. (from the birth cert and indexes).

I'm struggling to find any more siblings as there are so many Hagues in the Ashton area, so wondered if I could get a look up of the parish birth records instead, but I'm not sure of what church they would have belonged to. Even finding their parents grave might help??

Their parents were John Hague (c. 1871) and Emily (nee Lee) c. 1872
    who married in Ashton in 1893.
    and in the 1901 census they lived at 45 Astley Street - but there was no sign of any children.
    My mother seems to think he had sisters called Doris and Lily??

Any help would be great...

Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Are your Hagues related to mine from Worksop in Nottinghamshire?
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Lancashire BMD (Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths) hasn't got all the records with MMN yet, but there's a Doris HAGUE b 1898 Ashton Town, and a Lily in 1900.

The Hague/Lee marriage shows up on the site as 1891-5 at Castle Hall (Stalybridge), Holy Trinity.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Obviously we don't know that other children would have been born in Stalybridge, but taking that as a start point, I looked at children listed as something other then Daughter (or Son!) on the 1901 census. As far as I could see, they all looked as if they could be eliminated from the search. One was called Doris, but it did look as if her mother was with her, just that the head of household was her grandmother.

Does your mother remember ANYTHING else about her aunts? I just wondered if she know their married surnames (did she ever send them Christmas cards?!!). I was just thinking if you were able to pinpoint any deaths for the aunts, that could lead you to their dates of birth (via the death indexes)

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          Obviously we don't know that other children would have been born in Stalybridge, but taking that as a start point, I looked at children listed as something other then Daughter (or Son!) on the 1901 census. As far as I could see, they all looked as if they could be eliminated from the search. One was called Doris, but it did look as if her mother was with her, just that the head of household was her grandmother.

Does your mother remember ANYTHING else about her aunts? I just wondered if she know their married surnames (did she ever send them Christmas cards?!!). I was just thinking if you were able to pinpoint any deaths for the aunts, that could lead you to their dates of birth (via the death indexes)
          Hi Merry
          I'm sorry but my mother didn't even know her father was a twin, until I got his full birth cert!!!!!
          She only 'thinks' he had sisters, possibly a Doris and a Lily?
          Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Lancashire BMD (Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths) hasn't got all the records with MMN yet, but there's a Doris HAGUE b 1898 Ashton Town, and a Lily in 1900.

The Hague/Lee marriage shows up on the site as 1891-5 at Castle Hall (Stalybridge), Holy Trinity.

Christine
            Thanks for that Christine.
            I had their marriage in the March Q 1893, so to have the church really helps.
            I'm hoping I could get someone to do a look up for me to see if there are any other siblings in the baptisms for Holy Trinity?

Thanks Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Fi & Lilly View Post
              Are your Hagues related to mine from Worksop in Nottinghamshire?
              Haven't got that far back, but no don't seem to be - sorry!!

Comment

If they were living in Astley Street in the 1901 census, does anyone know which cemetery the family might be buried in??
                That might give me a clue to some of the children??

Thanks

Tracy

Comment

*looks vague*

Is Stalybridge in Tameside?

Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium
                  Hall Green Road
                  Dukinfield
                  SK16 4EP
                  Tel: 0161-330-1901
                  Email: cemeteries@mail.tameside.gov.uk
                  on-line:http://www.tameside.gov.uk/corpgen2/cemandcrem.htm

All enquiries about burials in Tameside municipal cemeteries should be directed to the address above. Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium opened in 1866.

Comment

Once you are in a built up area, parishes get really tiny. Where I live in South London, there have been over 100 places of worship, just in one borough. My father was born and worshipped as what became URC, but was bp in a C of E church. A friend cannot establish where she was christened because her parents dabbled with different churches. C of E registers may be at the local record office, but they could still be at the church and there is no requirement for non-conformist registers to be deposited.

The best way forwards may be to find the family in directories and electoral rolls and if they survive, look for school records. Children usually went to school very close to where they lived, and the admission registers show dob, guardian, address, and where they went when they left (in theory, anyway)

A word of warning re memories. Aunts may be wives of brothers, cousins or family friends. You really need the 1911 census. To have no children in the first seven years of marriage suggests several infant deaths or miscarriages. Or a father with an occupation that takes him away from home a lot. It may be that there weren't many surviving siblings.

Pumping people for information seldom has the desired result, but it might be worth talking to your mum about childhood holidays, christmases etc, what the house looked like when she was small, did she play with cousins, what were her favourite clothes: anything that she is going to be interested in (rather than what you are interested in!) to encourage remembering the past. And if you have a discrete webcam, so much the better!
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                      *looks vague*

Is Stalybridge in Tameside?
                      Well, vague isn't the word........ Stalybridge has been Lancashire, Cheshire, Derbyshire..............so yes probably Tameside too!!!:D

Its a pain when searching by county as you never know which one to put in???

Seriously, though, thanks for the Dukinfield cemetery. Astley Street still survives, so I'll have a look and see which looks to be the nearest cemetery. Thanks for the link Merry

Tracy

Comment

Had a chat to my mum who thinks her Dad's dad lived to be about 92, but I've looked through the indexes for a John Hague dying around 1963/4 and no joy??
                        Any ideas??
                        Thanks
                        Tracy

Comment

Have you tried a wider range than that? Memories are notoriously inaccurate (as I'm aware for my own!)

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            Have you tried a wider range than that? Memories are notoriously inaccurate (as I'm aware for my own!)

Christine
                            Have widened the range to 10 years and still no joy??
                            But will keep trying.

Thanks

Tracy

Comment

A lot of the sources for the 1900s are not online, which is a pain.

Are you local to the area? The local studies library should have directories and electoral rolls. Guildhall Library in London is another place known for its collection of electoral rolls and Ancestry has telephone directories online. See if you can find John Hague at an address and follow him through. He may, of course, have ended his days in an old people's home, or staying with relations, but it's worth looking to see how far forwards you can bring him.
                              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Ooh, there look to be lots of Stalybridge addresses for Hagues. What occupation was John? What occupation was your grandfather? You may be able to pick up quite a lot about them!

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                  Ooh, there look to be lots of Stalybridge addresses for Hagues. What occupation was John? What occupation was your grandfather? You may be able to pick up quite a lot about them!
                                  In 1891 he was a cotton dresser and in 1901 a cotton operative - they lived at Astley Street in both 1901 and 1907 when my grandpa was born.

Tracy

Comment

What address did your grandfather marry from? Was he still living with his parents then?

Comment

look in the member list- find Jemima puddleduck - send her a pm- she'll have a reasonable idea of what church is where - its her stamping ground.
                                      Jess

Comment

Working...
                                      X