Research Advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Advice Please

I’m trying to trace my grandaunt Edith Mary Simper.

She was born 1893, Sudbury Suffolk.

I have her as a witness to her brother’s wedding in 1920 at the Registry Office, Kings Norton, Birmingham. She would have been about 27 at that time.

I have searched the BMD’s, I have found two marriages neither are her and I cannot find any deaths listed for her.

I also looked at the shipping lists from 1920-1960 only one Mary Simper listed but again not her.

Any tips or clues on where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm,

Do you know Edith's exact date of birth?

When you say you have looked for a marriage or death for her without any success do you mean you have checked the full GRO index?

Comment

Hi Merry,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Edith’s DOB is 01 Jan 1983.

I checked all the BMD’s on Ancestry from 1920- 1985 as you know some of the Qtrs. are missing so there’s a small chance she could be listed there.

All of the family moved to the Birmingham area in the early 1920’s her Father and Brothers all worked for the Midland Red Bus Co. So the chances are she also married in that area, if she married.

Malcolm

Comment

1893!!

There's no death for an Edith Mary X, with that birth date, after 1983.

As you say, there are a few Q's missing from Ancestry, or she might have had her name mis-spelled, her marriage or death entry might not have reached the GRO, or 101 other things. She might have even co-habited!!

Comment

Sorry “1893”…..just a small test and you passed with flying colours.:D:D

I’m going to in the UK next month. Do you know where I can find the BMD’s for Kings Norton area.

Malcolm

Comment

You can try in 1901 census
            Elyh age 39 b 1862 Grateashfield Suffolk Thames Ditton
            Mary age 38 b 1863 Gloucestershire Appeley "
            Percy age 14 b 1887 Grateashfield "
            Francis age 12 b 1889 " "
            Edith age 8 b 1893 Suffolk Sudbury "
            Ernest age 4 b 1897 Suffolk Esher "
            Last edited by Southwick; 25-07-08, 20:35.

Comment

Hi Southwick,

Yes that’s the family they moved to the Birmingham area in the early 1900’s

Malcolm

Comment

Hi Malcolm,

there is a marriage between Edith M Simper and Edward C Gray, Dec 1926, WANGFORD, 4a 2629.

Wangford was the registration district for Beccles, Suffolk.

Merleyone

Comment

Hi Merleyone,

Thanks for looking.

That’s one of the certs I have purchased unfortunately it’s for a Edith Maud Simper, Father's name Arthur Cook Simper. My Edith’s Father was named Elijah.

Malcolm

Comment

Just in case it figures in your tree, W Midlands BMD (http://www.bmsgh.org/wmbmd/index.html) has a SIMPER marriage in 1942 for Donald W, who marries Laura GABRIEL at Coseley, Roseville Methodist Church, School Street. But it's the only one transcribed so far from 1903-2002.

There are also three births (1909, 1948 and 1972). They haven't started showing MMN (yet) like some of the others.

There are four deaths transcribed, too (1910, 1937, 1977, 1989).

There's always a possibility that a record didn't make the jump from local RO to GRO.

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-07-08, 22:11.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the information I’m not sure about the births but three of the deaths are mine.

1937… Edith’s Father

1977… Edith’s Sister in Law

1989… Edith’s Brother

Do you know how many local RO’s there are for Birmingham and where the electoral rolls are kept.

Malcolm

Comment

Malcolm

Records for areas of Birmingham are kept here

Birmingham Central Library

If you need anything regarding the Coseley area you need to contact:
                        Dudley Archives,
                        Mount Pleasant Street.
                        COSELEY

Phone no. 01384 812770. They are closed Mondays and Wednesdays. They are also open every lst and 3rd Saturday in the month from 9.30 to 12.30.

Coseley is not Birmingham
                        Pam

Comment

Malcolm

The electoral rolls will be at the relevant records office, as well as local history centres and main libraries.
                          This has a list of archives and links relevant to Kings Norton/Birmingham genealogy:

Links and references
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Edith Mary Simper
                            born J/F/M qr 1893 Sudbury 4a 744
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:
                            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sorry for the delay in answering I am eight hours behind you.

Pam, Nell thanks for the links it looks like there is lots of useful information.

Elizabeth that’s Edith’s birth cert, I have it. I’m trying to find what happened to her after 1920, Marriage, or Death date.

Most all the family lived within a few blocks of Lightwoods Road, Bearwood, Smethwick, so I thought it may be worth checking the Electoral Rolls for any clues but I’m not sure where they would be kept.

Her Father died in 1937 at Kingston Stream Rd, Kingswinford, Brierley Hill, I’m not sure if this is a residence or Hospital.

Malcolm

Comment

Bear in mind that you probably won't find her in the electoral rolls before 1923 at the earliest.

When women got the vote in 1918, it was restricted to those over 30 who occupied premises with a yearly value of not less than £5.

The voting age for women wasn't reduced to 21, the same as for men, until 1928.

If you can get access to the National Probate Calendar, you could check to see if her father made a will, in the hope that she's mentioned in it.

Comment

Hi Mary, Sorry for the delay in answering, do you know where I can access the National Probate Calendar.

Malcolm.

Comment

Some (but not all) Record Offices, and the main Probate Offices. If you're intending to visit a Record Office while you're over in the UK, you could check their site or e-mail them to see if they hold the Probate Calendar.

Alternatively, you could try putting a thread on here asking if anyone can do you a look-up.

The Probate Calendar just contains brief details (the name and address of the deceased and the executor or administrator and the size of the estate), but if you do find a will, you can then send off to York for a copy, which costs £5.

You can ask York to do a search without checking the Probate Calendar first, but if there isn't a will, then you've wasted £5.

Comment

Thanks Mary I will do that, I have a wedding to attend but the rest of the month I’m visiting family and doing research.

I would also like to thank all who have given me suggestions for knocking down this brick wall.

Malcolm

Comment

Hi Malc,

not sure where you are, but i'd guess stateside

you might like to consider that your "Edith" might also be called Adaline, as I know that Edith is a "Pet" name for Adaline, so it might help..

Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X