missing birth reference number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing birth reference number

Hi all-this is the first time I've actually posted on here so hope you dont mind me asking this.........my GGrandfather was born 1856 approx and I am about to send for his birth cert. but the reference number has the middle digit missing ,it shows 9d 2-9 so how do I go about getting his certificate if I cant give GRO the full number..any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    Angie

Welcome to FTF, Tazzybear. Which index did you look at? Sometimes the Ancestry scan is more legible than the FreeBMD one and vice versa. If you give us the name, you'll get a response in seconds!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you have got the information from Freebmd, click on the number hyperlink and have a look at the scan yourself, to see if you can work out what it is.

Another way is to call up the regsitration district for the quarter for ALL names (so leave top two boxes blank) and see what numbers are covered, to give you an idea of the range of pages.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hello Uncle John and Phoenix

I looked on ancestry and it shows the same as free bmd ,when I looked at the original document it is handwritten and almost illegible so I cant even hazard a guess.
        His name is Edwin Lee born in Hull in 1856 and he is driving me bonkers !!
        Phoenix I will try what you suggest and see if I can work it out
        Thanks both
        Angie

Comment

If you look at the Full index image on Ancestry it is a lot clearer and it looks like 9d 209.

Last edited by WendyPusey; 25-07-08, 18:18.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thankyou Wendy, you're right it does look like 209.
            Thanks
            Angie

Comment

It looks like 209 to me as well.
              By the way If you order from the Hull register office instead of the GRO then you wouldnt need these numbers anyway.

Comment

Thanks Jewels have just been looking at the Yorkshire bmd site!
                Angie

Comment

It looks like his birth is on the yorksbmd site; the ref number is given below

Births 1856
                  LEE Edwin Myton Hull MYT/34/372
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen
                    Angie

Comment

Working...
                    X