Help with Canadian Passenger Lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Canadian Passenger Lists

I've been checking through the sources for one of my family lines and have encountered a glitch.

Hannah LAIRD, 53,widow, travelled from Glasgow to Portland USA in 1910 in the company of her brother-in-law Archibald MCKINLAY,62, destination Montreal, plumber (retired).

I found the original reference through FindmyPast and then was able to get the image of the passenger list from Search - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

I saved an image of the relevant portion of the page, at the time, so I know that part of the information is correct.

My problem is that I noted the source as SS 'Pretorian' , departed Glasgow 24 March 1910, destination port, Halifax, Canada. When I tried to check the reference today , I can't locate the original page. Either I just can't see it, or I have noted the wrong ship. However, it was definitely a 1910 voyage.

If anyone has access to Canadian Passenger Lists, would they mind looking for Hannah LAIRD and see which ship she sailed on? I will have to log off fairly soon, but will check in again tomorrow
    Last edited by Macbev; 25-07-08, 17:44.

Beverley

What you've noted seems to match the FMP transcription.

I expect you didn't find her on the Canadian list because she was travelling with McKinley, "Euclid" (or that's the nearest I can guess! - I suppose it could be "Richd"). That means she's amongst the Ms and not the Ls. And she's not in the first part of the list because she was travelling steerage. In the site's numbering, it's page 14. She's 4th from the bottom of the page.

Christine

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. "Euclid" (I wish!) is actually Archd. (abbreviation for Archibald). Off to look yet again

UPDATE: Have found the reference and corrected my entries. Many thanks
      Last edited by Macbev; 25-07-08, 17:43.

Beverley

Comment

Of course! I hadn't thought of Archibald.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X