Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marriage banns 1773... What is her surname?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage banns 1773... What is her surname?

and what parish is she "of"?

Banns of marriage between Francis Barker of this Parish and Rebecca ???? of ??? were published on the 26th April, May 2nd and 9th 1773 by me G Curtois Curate

I don't have the actual marriage of these people - just the banns published in his parish, so presume they married in her parish (wherever that is).

I know she was born c1754 which is info taken from her burial and the age on her death certificate.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

EDIT: should add that this is all going on in Lincolnshire and I don't know which parish this was written in. It must be Saltfleetby or Donnington (I think!)
    Last edited by Tom Tom; 25-07-08, 15:38.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Rinking? of Garford?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

btw, the calling of banns is no proof that the marriage actually took place.
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hmmm - it seems whoever submitted it to the IGI couldn't read it either! It just says Rebecca!

Possibly the marriage didn't take place? One of them could have died before hand or they could have called it off.

A stab at her surname might give RINKING. As for the parish - I wonder if he was trying to write Gainsbro' and was running out of page? It certainly seems to begin GAI... Perhaps it could be Gaiton ( as in Gayton le Marsh)

Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 25-07-08, 15:58.

Comment

Being hopeless at anything geographical, I looked in the Atlas for what I thought might be Garton or Garfon/ford

There's a Garton the other side of the Humber ... up quite a way from Saltfleetby something

Garford seems to be the other side of the country ...Oxford/ Wilts area

Don't think that's a capital R (Rinking) maybe a K ?

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 25-07-08, 16:08.
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Looks like Hinking of Garfor......
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy
              I think the 't' or 'f' is getting confused with the upper case C in the next line

I'm going for GARTON

could even be Garbon, except that it's not in my Atlas

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 25-07-08, 16:09.
              ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Stand by folks - I think it's Yarboro (Yarborough seems to be a suburb of Lincoln).

How comforting, Rachel, to be geographically challenged. It must lift so much worry from your shoulders.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It looks like RIHKING to me and the placename of GARTON which is an ancient place in the East Riding of Yorkshire according to Genuki, about 9 miles north east of Hedon and 13 miles from Hull and Lincolnshire is on the other side of the Humber Estuary. The first letter looks the same as the R in Rebecca but the H I am not too sure about. It is the seat of Lord Dunbar and he owned Garton Blue Hall. a lot of unusual viking like names in that area, Ringe being one.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 25-07-08, 16:31.

Comment

Where did you get the scan from, Tom? It would be helpful to look at more than just one entry as there are so few capitals and the end of the parish name disappears. I could make a case for Kitching of Garlton (=Carlton)

Comment

Like it, UJ!

Comment

How about KITCHING?

Christine

Sorry, Phoenix, I didn't read your post properly. You've already suggested this, but I second it, having looked at the examples of lower-case t anc c elsewhere.
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-07-08, 16:40.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a Rebecca Kitching bp in Lincs in the right period, so the surname does exist.

Comment

I spotted a couple in West Ashby (1746 and 1751), and one in Thimbleby (1760); tho' the last one would mean she was an extraordinarily young bride.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi everyone, sorry about that.... I fell asleep reading my book. lol

I have some some more writing as well (for the two previous marriages) Will put that up.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I wondered about possibly being GAYTON? I know her grandson married a lady from Gayton and I think it is actually called Gayton in the Marsh but the vicar spelt it Gaiton.

You will notice the entry above is for a Frances Barker, banns published on the same days and is probably sister of my Francis. He had a son Francis and a daughter Frances as well.

I know a Francis Barker DID marry a Rebecca as I have their children's baptisms and her death certificate.

Comment

Oh Tom I do like Frances Barker's mark .... far more interesting than X

Comment

LOL Rachel. Me too.

One of the witnesses is Francis Barker who I think is my 6x great grandad and the Francis mentioned on the bottom one.... if I find his marriage I will hopefully see his mark is the same as that one.

Comment

From the Clergy database .....

Grove Curtois, was the vicar of Tevelby alias Teleby (alias Tealby) rector of Benniworth/ (Benningworth), 1764 - 1790 and died at South Willingham, Lincs.

Comment

Having reconsidered I would now go for Kitching and Yarbro'

If that's any comfort! :p
                                        Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X