Help Needed With Jamieson Research!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed With Jamieson Research!

Hi I am a completly new to this so I would be grateful of any help out there! I have been trying to trace my family tree for a while now but I am really struggling with my JAMIESON side. I have very limited information all I know is my ggrandad was called GEORGE FORSYTHE JAMIESON. He was born in about 1901. He married AGNES AMOS in 1927 in the district of HENDON. His father was HENRY JAMIESON on the wedding certificate it shows his occupation as a bookmaker. GEORGE and AGNES later moved to BILLINGHAM CLEVELAND. There's also a Scottish link apparently. Thant's really all I know.
    Hope someone out there can help me, and advice is appriciated.
    Here's hoping

Hello missmojorisin and welcome to the forum.

I couldn't see a birth registration for George on the England/Wales registers.

However, there is a birth of a George Forsyth Jamieson in 1904 in Edinburgh City/Midlothian on the Scotlandspeople website.

Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople

Scotlandspeople is a pay per view site. 30 credits cost £6.00. Searches are free and the search results are 1 credit per page to view. The images of births, deaths and marriages can be viewed online for 5 credits each.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Good morning missmojorisin and welcome to FTF

I am just looking at the censuses for Henry. That middle name of FORSYTHE is significant I think. It is probably George's MMN or his grandmother's MN.

Back in a bit.
      Rose

Comment

Thankyou very much. I'll look into getting credits I think. I was going on the fact he was born in 1901 by his listed age on the wedding certificate but I know this can be a few years either side. Thankyou very much for your time I hope this will give me more to go on in tracing further back.
        Apparently the FORSYTHE name is given to the first son.( my uncle also had it as his middle name) Some record it is written with an 'E' at the end and sometimes not.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the E on the end. Forsyth/e will be a woman's maiden name somewhere in your history. I have several like that in mine.

I was hoping to come back to you with any little snippet I have found, but no luck lol. Although I am at work and not giving it my full attention!

Let us know if you have got any more information, however small it may seem. Do you know what Henry's wife was called?

*goes to do some work lol*
          Rose

Comment

Thanks again. Don't want to get you into trouble at work!!
            I don't know the name of Henry's wife. I might try and view the record Gillian found maybe that will show it.
            Have a good day!

Comment

missmojorisin - the date of the parents' marriage is shown on the Scottish birth certificates, so, if it's the right George, you will probably also be able to download his parents' marriage certificate image too. On Scottish certs, this will give you the names of both parents of husband and wife including the mothers' maiden names.
              Gillian

Comment

Thankyou
                I can't believe I've been struggling all this time, I should have joined on here earlier!

Comment

Let us know if that birth isn't the right one and we can come up with some more suggestions.
                  Gillian

Comment

:D Just viewed the George's birth certificate. Certainly seems to tally with the George I'm looking for. his father is Henry and his Mother is MARGARET FORSYTH JAMIESON. I think, I can't really make out what it says! I'm really pleased! Think the rest of the family will be too!

Comment

MARGARET FORSYTH JAMIESON'S maiden name was ANDERSON. I've gone all giddy!

Comment

Does Henry's occupation tally?
                        Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by missmojorisin View Post
                          MARGARET FORSYTH JAMIESON'S maiden name was ANDERSON. I've gone all giddy!
                          sounds like you are well and truly hooked :D:D
                          Rose

Comment

Henry's occupation isn't the same but I'm sure it's the right GEORGE. Just had a look at his birth certificate and from ther his parents marriage certificate like you suggested. HENRY was a van driver age 26, MARGARET was a domestic servant age 25. Her parents were ALEXANDER ANDERSON(deceased)and MARGARET ANDERSON maiden name FORSYTH. Finally we know where the Forsyth name came from!.
                            HENRY'S parents were DAVID JAMIESON formerly a ploughman and MARGARET JAMIESON maiden name HOGG. This is interesting because my uncle had done some research into the family and had said there was a story about the Jamieson's being related to a poet called JAMES HOGG- the Ettrick shephard. I wonder if there's any truth to that tale.
                            Thankyou for your help!:D

Comment

Hi missmojorisin
                              I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but Forsyth is not an uncommon Scottish name and it was common practice in Scotland to give children a maiden name from a previous generation as a middle name. So, if it were me, I'd be wanting to find a bit more evidence that the van driver Henry is the same as the bookmaker Henry. I don't suppose you know if your gt grandfather had any brothers or sisters?
                              Gillian

Comment

now that we've gone back a few generations we could maybe check out the censuses for you if you could give us some addresses/towns for the people named.

It is very tempting to jump on the first likely link but a bit more evidence is always good. When I first started someone was giving me a bit of assistance and gave me an address of 3 Beehive Court for one of my ancestors on the 1881. It was definitely him, she said. Even though I was very 'green' I was not happy just accepting it and it was a good while (and certs and Ancestry free trials lol) before I was happy to accept that, yes, my ancestor was that one.

Which reminds me, you can have 14 days' free trial on Ancestry. Get your info together of who you want to find and when before you start it and give it a blitz!!
                                Rose

Comment

Yes, I have thought of that too. Trying not to get too carried away with myself!! Don't know if George had any siblings though. I'll ask some of my family but I doubt if they'll know. Have you any other ideas of how I could find a link between the Henry van driver and HENRY the bookmaker to see if they are the same. Would any of the census be able to tell me of any brothers and sisters?
                                  Can't really read the addresses very well but on henry's marriage certificate in 1903 his address is i think is 18 wardlaw? place edinburgh
                                  Thanks again for your time and advice
                                  Last edited by missmojorisin; 25-07-08, 11:31.

Comment

I'm trying to get the address off George Forsyth's birth certificate but i can't make it out. Very frustrating.

Comment

This is one of those times when you really need that 1911 census!!:(

Rosie mentioned Ancestry - do you have a sub already? Unfortunately, my annual sub has just expired and I'm trying to hold out for a month as they sometimes offer a discount to entice people to re-subscribe, so I can't look at censi there for the moment.

I think, to start with, I would go through the 1901 censi for Henry Jamiesons (and spelling variations) to see if there are any other likely candidates for George's father.

Re reading the images - you can, if you want, put sections of the certs on here (but not the whole image), for help with deciphering handwriting.
                                      Gillian

Comment

How do I go about selecting parts of the certs to put on here?? Going to have a look on ancestry now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X