hi, newbie! need help with a john morton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi, newbie! need help with a john morton

hi, every1! im new here. i googled an ancestor and a few threads from here came up. and a friend and cousin was involved in the threads, and had a lot of help from people here. so i thought id give it a go.

im looking for help with my john morton. so, here's the info i have.

he was born john morton, on the 10th march 1842, in strand, st anne, westminster, london. to richard william morton, a coach trimmer, and mary. her surname is difficult to read, it looks like hyatt or wyatt. i've studied the handwriting from the record, and can't quite say with confidence that my interpretation is correct.

i can't find his family on the 1841 or 1851 census. simply because i have no idea whose family he belonged to. my great aunt had research done on hium in the 80's. the info she had, i can't verify. in 1841 there is a family that fits, and 1851 as well, but the only thing they have in common is the family members. the families are not the same.:o

my next hurdle is in 1861. john was married in august 1865 at marylebone, london, to marian vye gadd. i can't find either on the 1861 census. but, marian's family goes back to the 1600's. and ive got her family on the census for 1841 and 51. her family is also missing in the 1861 census.

i found john and marian on the 1871 to 1891 census, but then dissapear in 1901, although i can find they're kids in 1901. but the death indexes from freebmd.com don't have they're deaths until 1921, in yorkshire. the family moved there in 1900. and i have looked up the london and leeds areas.

i've tried everything i can think of, and asked around on ancestry, and genforum, and had no luck with john. can anyone here help me with my morton?

welcome kyle...I`ve PM`D YOU REGARDING jOHN MORTON B 1842....regards...allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi Kyle, Welcome to FTF
      I would say that this is John's parents & siblings on the 1841 census, living at 36 Crown St, St Annes Soho, Westminster:-

HO107; Piece 730; Book: 3; Folio: 32; Page: 27

Just off to see if I can find them on the 1851 census.

Comment

Gee, Ancestry is being real slow for me tonight!!
        I think that I have them on 1851, living in Newington......in fact I am sure that this is them...transcribed as Merton, but definitely Morton on the image:-

HO107; Piece: 1567; Folio: 730; Page: 45

Comment

Wonder if this is Marian in 1861 ? They are in Fulham, which is fairly near Marylebone

Parents James and Marian

- Ancestry.co.uk

James is an Ag Lab

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 25-07-08, 11:12.
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Here is John in 1861:-

RG9; Piece: 336; Folio: 140; Page: 2

I can't find Marian...what were her parent's names? Maybe she was away working and got missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
              Wonder if this is Marian in 1861 ? They are in Fulham, which is fairly near Marylebone

Parents James and Marian

- Ancestry.co.uk

James is an Ag Lab

Looked at that one, too, Rach. But Marian was born in 1840 in Chichester, so I don't think that is them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
                Looked at that one, too, Rach. But Marian was born in 1840 in Chichester, so I don't think that is them.
                Oh right ... haven't found them in 1871 so didn't have her place of birth

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 25-07-08, 11:54.
                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I will have to give up on trying to find john & Marian in 1901 as Ancestry has frozen up on me. I can't open anything...it just times out. Maybe later.

Comment

This looks like the 1891 family on the next (1901) census ...

- Ancestry.co.uk

Slightly different names !

James Marshall (59) ... Commission Agent ... born in London, Middx.
                    Marion Marshall (60) .. born in Chichester
                    Edith Marshall (25) ... born in Balham, London

Comment

This looks like the 1891 family on the next (1901) census ...

- Ancestry.co.uk

Slightly different names !

James Marshall (59) ... Commission Agent ... born in London, Middx.
                      Marion Marshall (60) .. born in Chichester
                      Edith Marshall (25) ... born in Balham, London
                      Rach, I never looked for them in 1871-1891, as Kyle said he had found them & Ancestry was being painfully slow. But I have just looked at 1891, and it does look like the same family!!! Wonder why they changed their names? :(

Comment

:D wow Lyn, Ancestry must be going REALLY slowly for you .... you've usually solved the whole thing in minutes ! :D

Maybe be their accents were too strange for the Enumerator in Yorkshire, or they had funny writing ?

How did you know Marian's year and place of birth ?

Comment

:D wow Lyn, Ancestry must be going REALLY slowly for you .... you've usually solved the whole thing in minutes ! :D
                          It is!!! I actually can't open images at the mo, either. And I am not that fast!! LOL!!!

Maybe be their accents were too strange for the Enumerator in Yorkshire, or they had funny writing ?
                          I was wondering if they did a runner to Yorkshire?????;)

How did you know Marian's year and place of birth ?

FreeBMD!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post

FreeBMD!!

Doh ! :D thought it was ESP or something

Comment

Doh ! :D thought it was ESP or something
                              :D:D:D

Comment

Family search has the marriage of Richard William Morton to Mary Wyatt at St Mary Lambeth
                                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

And there are a stack of children baptised at St Anne Soho. You would really need to get hold of the baptisms to confirm father's occupation, but it certainly look slike the right family.
                                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

hello and a warm welcome from me,enjoy,look round,brenda xxx

Comment

Re message #11, the runner/name change could be linked to the occupation of "commission agent". Mostly it was a travelling salesman type job but it was also a euphemism for off-course bookmaker, which was illegal until roughly 1960.
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

wow! its been a while since i've been here, thankyou for the help.you guys are so helpful!!

john and marian are in

wandsworth, streatham, in 1871.
                                        49 lambeth rd, lambeth in 1881.
                                        and in camberwell, peckham in 1891.

thanx for the image refs for the census, ill check them out.
                                        last week i found the familysearch information, just thought id see if i could find john's baptism, and whala!!! the info on him and family showed up.
                                        my aunt had two families, to choose from, and had the familysearch info, but i clarified it. im about to get the records soon.

ok, i believe richard, johns father died before 1851, is anyone able to clarify that in the census? um, i think i found john in 1861, there was a mary and john living in house 6, in surrey. but im not sure.
                                        john had threee surviving siblings- sarah b.1835, stephen b.1837, and thomas and joseph b.1840. unfortunately, thomas died in 1840.

i found apossible record for richard morton's birth. 1801 in endell st, holborn, the son of stephen morton and ann. my aunt had this in her tree, but couldnt tell me where the info came from. there was a caroline b,1820 and henry b.1824 in crown st, soho to stephen and ann morton. john morton was born in crown street, so im guessing these a re his fathers siblings. i found a marriage for stephen morton and ann evans in 1800 on familysearch. in st george? i cant find the info in my notes.

also, there are a few ann evans born about 1770 in greater london, any ideas how to pick the right one?:o

marian vye gadd was born in chichester 1840. i have the census and freebmd to thank for that. her parents were thomas gadd and mary ann wills. thomas 'dissapeared' around 1853, in chichester. there is a death record in 1853 for a thomas, maybe its him. mary dissapears in this time frame too, there is a death record in 1861 for a mary gadd in marylebone. marian has 2 sisters, emma christiana and catherine ellen. i cant find anyone on this family in 1861. but i found the marriages for the sisters after 1865. they appear under their married names from then on, but they are missing in at least one census later.

marian's family tree is on the gadd families of west sussex website, plus more that i found thats not the site.

well, im very grateful to everyone who's helped so far, and i'll organise myself more, and visit more often. thanx alan for the reminder. sorry this is so messy, it's my thoughts. hope you can decipher this message

Comment

Working...
                                        X