Missing........Arthur William Cragg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing........Arthur William Cragg

Arthur William Cragg was born 1842 Halifax, West Yorkshire. I have him on the 1851 census with his father James, and mother Caroline (died 1854), and on the 1861 with his father James and step mother Elizabeth. Arthur William married Isabella Sharp(e) in Huddersfield West Yorkshire 1st June 1872. Isabella was born 1853 Huddersfield. After Arthur's marriage to Isabella I have lost trail of him, cannot find him on census returns, nor can I find a death record for Arthur.
    Isabella had 5 known children.......................

1. Ann Cragg born and died 1874
    2. James William Cragg born 1876, died 1877
    3. Harry Cragg born 1877
    4. Lily Cragg born 1880 (my grandmother)
    5. Albert Cragg born 1882
    All above children born in Huddersfield.

I have Isabella on census 1881-1901 with her 3 surviving children, however Arthur is not with them. Harry Cragg born 1877, named his first son Arthur (born 1900) in view of Harry choosing Arthur as his son's name, I assume Arthur didn't desert his family!

Can anyone find a death, census, or emigration record for Arthur?

Many thanks for your time. I shall be most grateful for any info on Arthur.

Kind regards.

Hi Susan

Have you managed to find Arthur on 1871? Also do you have the marriage cert - if so, what was his occupation and the names of the witnesses please?

Jackie
    Jackie

Comment

Have you investigated this death?

Deaths Jun 1882
      CRAGG Arthur 38 Sheffield 9c 237

There is an Arthur Cragg in Lincoln jail (from Yorkshire) in 1881 who this could belong to, but otherwise, could it be yours?

Comment

Susan, what is Isabella's marital status on those censuses - married or widow?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hello Night Owl,

Thanks for your interest. I think I have Arthur in 1871 mistranscribed as CRAIG, living in Huddersfield, he's boarding with a Taylor family, and his occupation is wool scourer.

Yes I have Arthur's marriage cert. his occupation is dyer. The witnesses are William Eastwood, and John (not sure of surname) maybe Garlick.

Comment

Kite, I saw she said Married in 1881 and 1891 :o...I didn't look at the 1901 ...

Comment

Hi,

Yes Merry Monty, I sent for that death cert, but it isn't the right one, the Arthur in Lincoln jail is enumerated as a single person.

Sorry Kite Runner.........I should have said.....Isabella was recorded as married in 1881 and 91, and a widow in 1901.

Comment

Oh, and what's his occupation on the marriage certificate, Susan? Not a sailor or something, was he?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Hi, his occupation on his marriage cert. is dyer.

I have just looked at his daughter's (Lily's) birth cert. and there's something 'fishy' her father is named as ALBERT Cragg (railway guards porter), it could be a wrong transcription, but then again!!! The next child born after Lily was ALBERT

Comment

So maybe his death will turn up in the name of Albert too?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Well I'm stumped. I've tried various spellings and occupations on 1881. Why the different name on Lily's birth cert. Why was he never at home on census night?

On 1891 there is an Arthur Gragg (although the image looks like Cragg) b 1841 Halifax as a domestic servant in Skipton. He's down as single though

Albert's (1882) birth cert might give some clues

Jackie
                      Jackie

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll look at the death indexes for an Albert, and you suggest Night Owl it could be worth me sending for Albert's birth cert. Yes I think I'll do that now.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                        X