Emergency London geography question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency London geography question!

I just need to know if Christchurch (Surrey/London) is right next to Bermondsey? My maps are not helping!

You are right Merry. (Its on here)
    MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Stanford's Map Of London Showing The Boundaries Of Parishes 1877.

Comment

Oh, cheers Jill!

I presume Christchurch, Surrey's PR's are hidden away at the LMA? :(

Have to dash out now!

Comment

Sorry, can't help on that one.

Comment

well this took a bit of finding....

yes, the LMA have them:

City of London - Family research - London generations

But according to them it's called Christ Church and not Christchurch. So my 10 minute sof searching under Christchurch proved fruitless. I finally resorted to searching for the address.

This is another place I go sort of near on my way to work if you want a picture, Merry. Woudn't be until 3rd August which is my next Sunday on shift
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            I presume Christchurch, Surrey's PR's are hidden away at the LMA?

Merry, have you any idea what the alternative would be? Either a batty cw who will only let you look at the records on a third Tuesday if the wind is in the right quarter, or vandals destroyed the records when they set fire to the church. At least, at LMA if you have the wrong church, you can look at the records for another.

Bear in mind too that an active walker can cross an awful lot of parishes in Sarf Lunnon.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I'm back!

The reason I'm asking is this:

An Australian contact had me searching the Dorset PR's for two years looking for her rellies who emigrated to Oz in the 1840's. Their death certs said they were born in Dorset. When the 1841 census was released we found them living in Dorset Street in Lambeth! lol

Now, the same contact is asking me to investigate her ancestors from Christchurch in Hampshire (where I live). One of these ancestor "moved" to Bermondsey where they married and had children before moving to Australia and dying with "Christchurch" as their place of birth on their death cert. Now, going on past experience I wondered if he was from the other Christ Church (sorry Zoe!) - so whilst I am waiting for her to tell me what evidence she has that it's Hampshire, I thought I'd find out what we are up against if her family could be from London.
              Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 24-07-08, 13:07.

Comment

Merry, have you any idea what the alternative would be?
                lol!! Yes, but there's absolutely no chance of me getting to London, so as soon as I see something needs a visit to somewhere like that I just consider it a total brick wall and move on to something else!

Comment

If it's any help I have transcripts for Christchurch, Hampshire for the period 1780 to 1820 on CD.
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Have you Wendy!!

Would it be possible for you to have a look and see if there is a bap for a Thomas William MEWS who was supposed to have been born 01 AUG 1795?

If there is a baptism, could you see if there are any siblings?

Thanks.....off to feed the troops!

Comment

Sorry Merry, can't find any MEWs baptisms at all. Have looked through 1790 to 1799 and can't find any.
                      Wendy

Comment

Hmmmmm....very interesting indeed!

Are the records you have for Christchurch Priory? Do you know if anywhere else is included?

Comment

Whoops, sorry....I didn't say thank you!

Thaks very much for looking for me, Wendy

Comment

Just says Christchurch on the CD.
                            Wendy

Comment

Thanks Wendy

Comment

Merry

from the IGI

Thomas William Mews
                                Birth: 01 AUG 1795 Christchurch, Hampshire, England
                                Death: 1870
                                Father: Thomas William Warren Mews
                                Mother: Deborah Cranston
                                Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, that's what she's working from - It's possible it's right too (from some other stuff I've now been told!) ...........I will have to see what unfolds! lol

Thanks for looking Nell

Comment

Working...
                                  X