Death in Madras, India, where Next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in Madras, India, where Next ?

I am trying to find out more about the death of one Guy COLE who died 3 Aug 1832 in Madras India. There is a reference to his death in the East India Directory and Register for 1833, but there are no other details, just his name and date of death. (The State Library let me wear white gloves and inspect an original Register, under the eagle eye of the staff in the supervised area).

From the lack of further detail, I tend to think that he may not have been in the Army (no rank), but perhaps just a clerk or something. I was hoping the entry might have been annotated "merchant" or something useful.

So, does anyone know where to check further - I am guessing, that the India Office Records at the British Library may well be the only source, but from here on the other side of the world, can anyone tell me where to start ?

Would it be simpler to engage a professional ? Not my favoured course of action, as I love to hunt down these tricky details, but it's just so far away.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Di, have you already looked at the GRO overseas section to see if there is a registration in there? (on findmypast or Family Relatives)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite,

No, as I had assumed it to be pre-GRO records.
      Does the GRO overseas index covers events before civil reg ?

Have looked at the AIGS (Aust. Institute of Genealogical Studies) which is in Melbourne, and they have lots of microfilms, so I might have to find a friend who is a member. There are a couple of people I know in Melbourne who might be.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 24-07-08, 09:18.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia

Comment

Yes, some of the overseas indexes do cover pre-1837 as you will hopefully see on this link:
        Overseas birth, marriage and death records - search on findmypast

It might have him on there if he was in the army. Worth a try, I should think.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite

Well, they look interesting - what's the IONIAN indicate ? Not India, I suppose. So there might be one relevant reference.

Well, my ancestry sub expires next week, and I don't think I will renew, so I could buy some findmypast credits instead. If its really useful I might take a sub.

Looks like its time for me to be joining and subscribing to various sites and societies now, depends how desparate I am to find this little twig on the tree.

Diane
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

The LDS have filmed the "Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Madras, 1698-1948" (136 microfilm reels!). You need to first get the index for the right time period:

Index to burials 1831-1840 FHL BRITISH Film 498594

From the index you will hopefully find which volume (and hence which microfilm reel) you then need to order to get the register entry.

I have done this for my gggf who died in India in 1871. The burial register was most informative (date & cause of death, occupation, etc).

Cheers
            Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard

The local LDS library is having an open day on 2 Aug, so I might join in and at least make inquiries about ordering the index film to get started.

Diane
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
              X