Unusual Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Names

I have been researching my Gibson family on the Cityark Medway site mainly targetting Chatham, Rainham and Gillingham (all in Kent). It has taken me about a month - I finally finished my searches today. As I was wading through the details I began noticing some unusual surnames such as:

Hogsflesh, Drawbridge, Nudge, Tremble, Underdown, John Steptoe (a rag and boneman?), John Kingsmill (a baker?), Hamlet Grief, Exuperious Cope, a Mr. Hutton who married a Miss Mutton, Lucy Lavender and of course the Horatios and Wellingtons for baptisms around times of conflict and my favourite of all time is TIME OF DAY the mind boggles at how his parents arrived at this name.

I do hope that there are no researchers looking for a Mary Smith there appeared to be at least four in each generation.

Has anyone else found odd or memorable names whllst researching?

Jean

I have all sorts ;)

Epton Graves, Obadiah Clayton, Stockdale Harrison Freeman, Bywater Gregory, Oswald Cornwallis Skillman, Forrest Young, Owen Owen, Faithful Bastow, Wonderful Bastow, Lot Bastow, Mercy Bastow, Fanny Cox, Russel Lee, Richard Grundy Oakey who married Emma Oakey Grundy, Whitford Brown, Fortunatus Evelyn Wright, John Lewis, Taigh and Quinn (won't give surname as they alive), Eulalia Rodriguez Da Silva, Halson Davenport, Howard Howells Davenport, Elkhana Musgrave Doughty, King Fisher, Hastings Garner, Woolfrey Skillman Butcher, Mina Hilda Buther...

The list could go on! LOL I know OC has someone called Fish Fish and I think it is Merry who has a lady called Faith Hope Charity

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I was helping a friend do her tree and looking for a Brown Woodhouse in Norfolk.

Thought it would be easy.........there were a whole swag of Brown Woodhouse kids, and I can't even connect them!!

I once met a lady in her nineties whose name was Ocean. She had sisters, India, Fern and Storm. Sounded more like some of the hippie kids in North Qld. Pretty, though.

Comment

I was helping someone on GR and was delighted to find that a popular barmaid, Rosie Trollope, had parents Hugh & Julia, and Julia's maiden name was Lusty. OH pointed out what a wonderful name it would have been, had the surnames been hyphenated!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

One of my grandmother's sisters had the Christian name of Volla - anyone else heard of it?
          Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Napoleon Bonaparte Money is the best I can offer!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X