ScotlandsPeople survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScotlandsPeople survey

I have just been sent an e-mail from ScotlandsPeople and have completed a survey.

They seem to be toying with the idea of a magazine - which one has to pay to access! Has anyone else had the same e-mail?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Yes I recieved it. I was just about to fill it in.

Haven't had time to digest it yet.

Edit to say I ticked no I wouldn't pay for an online magazine.
    Last edited by Guest; 23-07-08, 18:33.

Comment

There is an 'other comments' at the end but with a disclaimer that if its specific questions to contact them.

Comment

I'm a tad concerned - the heading showing on the original e-mail when I clicked to complete the survey was Findmypast.com Subscription renewal!!

I do hope they are not thinking of handing over the running of the site to Findmypast.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Well on mine it was totally Scotlands People no mention or indication of Findmypast!

Comment

I just noticed they have added more recents records to the bmd again, 1933-2006 marriages are to follow but presumably they will still have the 100, 75 and 50 year cut-off for downloading images.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

maggie - I clicked on the "click here if you are having problems seeing it" and the tab on the page which opened showed the screenshot above.
              Gillian

Comment

I have completed the SP survey.

Have just rechecked but find no mention or indication of Findmypast!

I like and depend on SP, it is my main source.

Hugo

Comment

I couldn't find any reference to Find my past either clicked several times.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

How peculiar!

Hugo and JBee - did you try clicking on the "click here if you are having problems seeing it" and looking at the heading at the top of the screen on the following page?

The only improvement I could suggest was that the search terms should be expanded for censi. Until Ancestry put on the Scottish censi transcriptions (poor quality though they are) I found SP too expensive to search for many of my main lines, let alone for siblings.
                    Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post

maggie - I clicked on the "click here if you are having problems seeing it" and the tab on the page which opened showed the screenshot above.

Tried that and nope I don't get any indication that findmypast is involved its all Scotlands People on mine.

Comment

Gillian,

When I clicked on the link - like you it opened in FindMy Past - Subscription etc (don't have it open right now to check). Just thought I'd let you know you're not alone!!

Comment

Maggie - thanks for checking.

Margaret - thanks for letting me know - I was beginning to think I must be seeing things!
                          Gillian

Comment

Findmypast and Scotland's people are in partnership for the online 1911 census, surely?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                              Maggie - thanks for checking.

Margaret - thanks for letting me know - I was beginning to think I must be seeing things!
                              Thats okay. I don't doubt you I'm sure that is what you're getting I'm not sure why though.

As OC says they are in cahoots with each other. It might be that anyone with a subscription with Findymypast already doesn't get that.

I have a current subsciption with them. Would be interesting to see if the other people that didn't get the Findmypast thingy was subscribers and those that did isn't.

Comment

So I understand OC - although I thought it was just for the England and Wales census.

I'm just hoping the collaboration doesn't extend to the other areas of SP as I like it the way it is!
                                Gillian

Comment

Maggie - I'm not currently a subscriber. The page didn't invite me to resubscribe though.
                                  Gillian

Comment

Findmypast was aquired by Scotland Online (now called a different name "brightsolid") in Dec 2007 so may be that's the link to Scotlands People.

Comment

modem - thanks for that. I had completely missed that bit of news. That does explain the link.
                                      Gillian

Comment

Gillian, I made the same point about searching the censuses.

When I started on my Scottish roots it was a nightmare. I wasted so much money clicking on census entries in the hope it was my family, and it took months before I found them. (With names like Robert Johnston and no date or place of birth it was impossible).

I pointed out that frequently people use Ancestry to locate someone, then switch over to ScotlandsPeople for the image.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:
                                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                                        X