Just be thankful for what I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just be thankful for what I have?

A gentleman on another site very kindly checked the Musters & Pay Lists for 1816 for me when he visited Kew. When I asked about getting copies of the records he said that the Musters were original copies on vellum, quite large and had very faint ink.

Should I just be thankful that he was able to get me the information contained on these documents or is there ANY way to get a copy?

Lots of different ways. There is self service photocopying at Kew (which he may have been reluctant to try if uncertain of results) or you can ask TNA to give you a copy or you could ask if anyone off to Kew could take a photograph for you.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix, the way he said it, I assumed that it wasn't allowed - mainly because of the age of the documents.

Comment

Try sending them an email with the details of the document in question and they will be able to tell you if it is possible to get a copy
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

OK Vikki - I'll try that.

Comment

TNA have done me copies of all sorts of things, some considerably older & scruffier from anything in 1816. If the binding was hanging off, he may not have liked to do it himself and costs of large documents can prove expensive if the staff do it, but TNA's attitude to copying is a world away from what it used to be (and last Saturday it was free to self service!)
            Last Saturday I was cheerfully snapping naturalisation papers, divorce papers and ships' logs. The last are heavy, large & sometimes with spidery handwriting.
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Phoenix,

What kind of copies do they do? I would probably want a scan (for the computer) rather than a paper copy - hopefully get it quicker and lessen the chance of it getting lost in the mail. Then I can always print a copy from the scan.

When you said 'snapping' did you mean taking a photo? How did they turn out?

Comment

Margaret this is an example (Crown copyright!) from a ship's log. Not perfect, because I'm behind the camera! but legible.

Comment

That is very clear Phoenix. If I get copies like that I will be very happy.

Comment

Working...
                  X