No announcement yet.

Is this the same person in 1841 twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the same person in 1841 twice?

1841 Haughton le Skerne, Co Durham

John Furgason 70 ag lab
    ** John Furgason 18 weaver

1841 Haughton le Skerne, Co Durham

Ralph Furgason 28 Labourer ag
    Jane Furgason 28
    ** John Furgason 19
    John Watson 10

Ralph Furgason is the son of John aged 70. I haven't got a John born ca 1822/23 in my tree.

Ralph married Jane in 1836. Other children of John are John (B 1802) married 1827 & Maria (B 1805) married 1831, who had a son John in 1837.

I can only see one John in 1851

Haughton le Skerne, Co Durham

Mary Sheppard Head, wid, 60, born Aldbrough, YKS
    ** John Furgason lodger, umar 28, labourer born Morton, DUR

So are the John's in 1841 one & the same, & who are his parents?

Cheers

Jay

PS the name should be Ferguson
    Jay

Jay, did you get the names of John's children Ralph, John and Maria from the parish records or if not, then where did you get them from? Do they all have the same mother? And have you found the parents' marriage(s)? Because from what you say, it looks as though John was born about 1770 and had children in 1802, 1805 and 1812. Which makes it look likely that he had some other children between Maria and Ralph - unless Maria's mother died and it was a few years before he married Ralph's mother? Although if so, then those children wouldn't be old enough to be mother or father of the other John. Also he (John born 1770ish) would be old enough to have had some children before John in 1802, in which case one of those children could be the parent of John 1822-3.
    Or of course, it could be that the young John is his nephew or similar.

As for whether they are the same person or two different people, think you will need to find out more about all the family members before you can be sure of that.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It's possible its the same chap.

I have a gt gt gt grandmother and her children who are simultaneously with her husband and with her parents in 2 separate villages in 1841.

If its the same Ferguson I would guess he is a grandson of John senior and nephew of Ralph. Chances are his dad is also a John!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

But Jay said that John born 1802 (son of John born 1770) didn't get married until 1827, so his son couldn't be born 1822-3 - unless either the 1827 marriage was a second marriage or the son was "illegitimate"?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

John & his wife Elizabeth had

Son 1800 - 1803
          John 1802
          Maria 1805
          Son 1808 - 1810
          Ralph 1810

These are from the PR's & the last two show the mother as Elizabeth Smith. The eairler ones show the mother as Elizabeth too but no maiden name is recorded.

I think i've got their marriage in 1794 (IGI not yet seen), so there's possibly children 1794 - 1799.

Think i'd better have a look for any children pre 1800 which is easier said than done as the first 3 kids are at the same church, the 4th & 5th are both different, & none of them where i've found the possible marriage!

Jay
          Jay

Comment

John's marriage in 1827 doesn't indicate if he was a batchelor or a widower, so I suppose he's a possible father i've not thought about.
            Jay

Comment

Having just doubled checked my notes the son born 1808 is stated as being the 3rd son of the couple, so it looking like i'm looking for a daughter pre 1800, who is most probably this John's mother.
              Jay

Comment

Working...
              X