Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative names - and more questions

Hello All

My great grandmother appears on census returns as 'Ellen E French (Ellen E Lawley). eg RG10 Piece 2373 Folio 33 Page 6.

I thought that her mother had probably been married before, hence the alternate surname, but I can see no evidence of this. I have Ellen's birth cert on order, but on what grounds and evidence is this put on record

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

I have looked and it looks like an ancestry member has sent them an addtional surname for her. On the original census return she is calling herself French. I would think mum remarried and she is with her step family.
    GWEN

Comment

This is may be her in 1861 what do you think?
      RG9, Piece 963, Folio165, Page 4
      GWEN

Comment

I don't think that the Lawleys have anything to do with Ellen & Ada French. They are living in a different house.
        I think that Ellen's parents are Sarah & William French & that this is her family in 1861:-
        RG9; Piece: 1616; Folio: 82; Page: 6

Comment

Hello again

Thank you both for you interest.

Gwen, I too thought Mum may have been married before, but cannot see any evidence. I've seen the entry for 1861 and thought that it could be Ellen.

Lyn, again, I've seen the entry for Ada (whose birth date matches that given on the census I quoted), who I have taken to be Ellen's sister. The census entry mentioned by Gwen would explain Ellen's absence from your find.

It would make life much easier if the Lawleys had nothing to do with the Frenches :D, it would answer a lot of questions.

But, why are the two families linked as per census summary? I wonder if the transcriber just put the two names together in error?

I hope all will be answered when I receive the birth cert - I hope that I can boot out the Lawleys all together

Thanks again

Gwyn

OH needs to use the infernal machine for a while, so I'll check back later.
          Last edited by Oscar; 23-07-08, 15:35.

Comment

Gwyn, ancestry's transcriptions often treat two or more separate households as if they were together, especially if one of them doesn't have a head of household. If you look at the actual image and just ignore ancestry's transcription it will probably make more sense.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for that Kite - it would explain the muddle I've found myself in!

Gwyn

Comment

Hello again to Gwen, Lyn and Kite

I've been trawling through all records connected with the suggestions you've kindly given me and the conclusion is that the Lawleys were put there just to confuse me :D. All subsequent records fit, up to one from 1901 where Ada, still unmarried, is living with her widowed stepmother (Hannah).

This family was had me befuddled for ages, as I couldn't see any connection between the Frenches and the Lawleys, but I do believe we've got there, despite my meanderings :o.

Thank you all once again.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
                X