Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaques/Jacques/Jakes.....

Any more variants?

I am struggling to find him in the 1841/1861 census...

Robert Jaques b. 1793 @ Ardleigh, Essex wife Sarah b. 1792 Essex.

Known children so far, John Wenden b. 1818 Ardleigh, George b. 1820 Ardleigh,

any help/assistance would be great :D

thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-06-11, 21:13. Reason: mixed up names!!!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

This is what I have so far...

1841: as JAKES

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1228; Book: 16; Civil Parish: Thorganby; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 8; Page: 9; Line: 24; GSU roll: 464223.

1851: Robert Jaques - living next door to Son George and DIL Elizabeth

REF: HO107; Piece: 2356; Folio: 70; Page: 8; GSU roll: 87622.

Robert Jaques 1861 cens- Mistrans as TAGUES Class: RG9; Piece: 1096; Folio: 31; Page: 13; GSU roll: 542752. (JWJ is listed as WIDOW)]

Robert Jaques 1871 cens- (with son George) RG10; Piece: 1519; Folio: 42; Page: 6; GSU roll: 829777.

Robert Jaques 1881 cens- RG11; Piece: 3118; Folio: 119; Page: 14; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341743.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-02-13, 20:56.
    Julie

Comment

Tagues? For 1861
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
        Tagues? For 1861
        Brilliant!! thanks Brenda got him, so just the 1841 now...
        Julie

Comment

Assuming they are in Ardleigh in 1841, the only names that look possible, and it's an outside chance, is Leach or Sugar. There aren't even any RJs in Essex.
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks Brenda,

I'll have a look into it
            Julie

Comment

J can easily be mistranscribed as I, T or S, and Q as G.

Comment

HO107/1228/16 fo 8 p 9 (bottom two rows) and p 10 top row.

Robert Jakes & Sarah
                Alfred Jakes

Christine

PS - when you look at the image, it should be fo 7 p 9 and fo 8 p 10, but p 10 is attributed to fo 7 in the transcription.
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-07-08, 19:03.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  HO107/1228/16 fo 8 p 9 (bottom two rows) and p 10 top row.

Robert Jakes & Sarah
                  Alfred Jakes

Christine

PS - when you look at the image, it should be fo 7 p 9 and fo 8 p 10, but p 10 is attributed to fo 7 in the transcription.
                  Christine, thank you, that has helped A LOT.

I have been busy beavering away and found the census details for them, and for John Wenden Jaques/family..etc.. I cant find John Wendens death though, and have trawled 1876-1891 conclusive for John Wenden Jaques.. am now slowly looking for the variants of Jakes and Jacques... I may be gone some time..........

Last edited by Darksecretz; 14-12-17, 07:52.
                  Julie

Comment

Have you considered JACKS ? I've come across it as a surname years ago and pronunciation of Jaques could lead to this mis-spelling.

Comment

I was just having a look to see if I could spot John W in the 1851. I just put in:
                      male
                      b 1818±2
                      PoB: Ess* Ard*
                      and it called up:
                      • George 1820
                      • Robert 1816

No John, yet, but Robert wasn't on your list, and as he's up in Yorks, like George, it seems possible that there is at least a connection.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can see John and his wife and children in Shropshire in 1871:
                        RG10/2799 fo91 p 1

Christine

Comment

I've found Robert + wife and daughter (aged 17) in 1861:
                          RG9/946 fo 4 p 1

They're transcribed as "Jaynes". I've submitted a correction.

He's a lodger in 1851 HO107/2348 fo 278 p 14. Marriage status unspecified.

Christine
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-07-08, 17:19.

Comment

Possibly worth noting that there are only two JAKES marriages in Yorks (sorry that should be YorkshireBMD - so far transcribed) from 1837 - 1881

Edward 1844
                            Daniel G 1859

I don't propose to list the 103 JAQUES marriages in the same period!

Christine
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-07-08, 17:28.

Comment

Originally posted by BC View Post
                              Have you considered JACKS ? I've come across it as a surname years ago and pronunciation of Jaques could lead to this mis-spelling.
                              yea I have been looking at Jaques/Jacques/Jakes and still havent found him :(
                              Julie

Comment

Hi Christine.

this is him in 1851..

- Ancestry.co.uk

with Sarah his 1st wife... confused you will be......lol

her mother is also a Sarah, who is my 3x gt grannie
                                Julie

Comment

A Walter Wendon Jaques is born in Wandsworth 1906.

This isn't an online approach, but as he is a gamekeeper, it may be that his name appears in quarter sessions records, which would be a method of pinpointing some of his moves.

In fact, as he IS a gamekeeper, have you looked in Scotland?

Comment

Brenda,

erm. nope. never used Sp before...

I wonder if thats why I cant find him... he bogged off to scotland and had "another" family?

I gotta headache..lol
                                    Julie

Comment

and have never used quarter session thingys either.. have heard of them but do not know what they are..

:o:o
                                      Julie

Comment

As I recall, Quarter Sessions include things like Settlements - which can give whole sets of family names as a couple of Parishes battle it out as to which is going to have to provide poor relief!
                                        There are also records of people like gamekeepers... *dredges recesses of alleged brain for memory*... There's a site with records for Devon which gives that sort of info - and/or Hants. May not be the actual gamekeepers, though,... shooting licences? Something like that. I'd better see if I can find the right Bookmark!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X