Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading census, please.

1881 RG11; Piece: 1904; Folio: 113; Page: 10

Elizabeth M Butcher, fisherman's wife. What does is say in the last column?
    Gwynne

How odd - it looks like "in Ireland"!

Back for a better look!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

If you click on the previous page, the same entry seems to be given at the top against Eliza Mills -

Sorry, I think it is the next page!
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 23-07-08, 08:14.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I think it refers to where he OH was! If you turn the page Jane Hall (no OH) has "At Sea" in the end column and Eliza Mills (no OH) has "In Ireland" too.

Comment

Perhaps they were trying to stress that they weren't deserted wives.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Emma Simpson (accountant's wife) has something more complicated written - to explain what she has done with her accountant? lol (same page as your Elizabeth)

Comment

On page 8 there's four wives with "At Sea" in the end column.

Comment

On page 4 Charlotte Cook has "H at Sea" which is presumably Husband at Sea"

Comment

That's be it, thanks!

I should have realised but it's in the disability column.
                  Gwynne

Comment

They tended to use that column for other stuff because they so rarely had a disability to put in it.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                    X