Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would I find a signature?

Evenin all

Some of you may remember that for several centuries ( well, it seems like it, anyway), I have been trying to establish whether my grandad was already married & had a family when he met my nan.

Thanks to helpful suggestions from some of your good selves I now have a copy of the marriage register where Francis Smith married Mary Ann Bryant in 1906. His signature is quite distinctive - the capital F is written backwards & with a wobbly top!

Now, if this is the same bloke who met, but never married, my nan several years later ( c1914), where could I find a document with his signature on to compare?

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received!

Was he the informant at any of his children's births? or a witness at his wedding?

Some of the later wills I have do have signatures on them.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Can you think of anything for which he might have had to apply? You always have to sign applications.

The reason I thought of that is that that is why I am so confident that I've tracked down Errant Grandfather: a match of signatures on 1911 marriage cert in UK and his 1936 application for a social security number in the USA.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Tom Tom,

he wouldn't have been an informant at my eldest aunty's birth, as Nan was already pregnant by an American soldier when they met ( I know it's all horribly complicated) But he may have been at my second aunty's or my mum's or at any of their weddings, I suppose.

I presume getting copies of the birth & marriage certificates wouldn't do any good, would it? I obtained the marriage register exerpt with the signature from London metropolitan archives, but I think the children were all born & married in or near Southampton.

Comment

Hi Christine.

He was a soldier in WW1. Would he have had to sign anything for that?

I'm not sure about a will. How would I go about tracking that down?

Comment

He'd have signed a part of his Attestation - if the record still exists. I remember seeing my great uncle's signature. I think it may be on the allegiance bit - or confirming that you've given correct info about yourself.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Karen

Not much help, but the back-to-front capital "F" was very common in Victorian times, so you cannot take that as proof of identity!

OC

Comment

Any idea whether I might be able to get hold of that, Christine, and , if so, how?

Comment

Do you have a DoB for him? That might rule out some of the 101 WW1 pension records for "Francis Smith".

Christine

your post crossed with mine... Ancestry has the pension records and some other WW1 stuff, some of which have the Attestation or equivalent

Comment

Hello OC.

It's not just backwards, the line across the top of the F is very wobbly, almost like a rounded capital N, if you see what I mean!

Comment

Hi Christine, I do have his birth cert, altho according to Mum there's some controversy aabout his actual date of birth, but it gives his date of birth as July 20th 1883. The Francis Smith on this marriage record is 23 & that's on 15th July,1906, so it almost fits,especially as Mum insists he celebrated his birthday in June!

Comment

And he didn't have any other given names?

Charles Francis Smith abt 1884
                        Francis Cecil Kaye Smith abt 1883
                        Francis Harold Smith abt 1882
                        Francis Henry Smith abt 1884
                        Francis James Smith abt 1884
                        and so on

Christine

Comment

No Christine, just plain old Francis Smith. The whole family are a genealogical nightmare - William Smith, Francis Smith, Alfred Smith & Elizabeth Smith - no middle names, all common names & all born in London!

According to his birth certificate, Grandad was born in Finsbury, Holborn, Middlesex, if that's any help.

Comment

As well as the Pensions info, Ancestry has this database of images:
                            British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
                            This database contains the surviving service records of non-commissioned officers and other ranks who served in WWI and did not re-enlist in the Army prior to World War II. The type of information contained in these records includes: name of solider, age, birthplace, occupation, marital status, and regiment number.
                            but only as far as H, at the moment.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X