Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading Scottish marriage certs

Hello
    I have started on our Scottish connection and have a marriage cert. It looks as if the names of both parents are given on Scottish certs, but is there any significance when only the mother's name is given, with her maiden name (although I cant find a marriage as yet)? She seems to have had two children in the 'married' name.
    I wonder, does this mean the father was deceased at the time of the childs marriage, or were the parents never married. They must have known who the father was, as the mother's name changes, and the children have the 'married' surname.
    Hope you can understand this ramble
    Thanks

No, it means the person getting married did not know the name of their father!

What does it actually say - is there just a line where the father's name should be?

OC

Comment

There is no line, just the mother's name and occupation in the middle of the space. Do you think the father died when the child was very young?

Comment

Hi Mcknil...

it could mean as OC says that the father was unknown and therefore the child was illegitimate.. If you could find the birth cert on Scotlands People it might help..

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

didn't read your thread properly.

What timeframe are we looking at

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

The marriage was in 1913, when the 'child' was 33. I think the father must have been known to the family as the mother's name changes, perhaps the child did not know the information if the father died young. I am sure I had to produce my birth cert when I got married and am wondering if it is the same in Scotland. Looks like I shall have to find £10 for the childs birth cert.
            Thanks
            Louise

Comment

Louise

if the child was 33 when they were married in 1913.. then they would have been born in 1880 there for you should be able to see the image of the birth entry online... It is free to register with Scotland's People and you can buy 30 credits for £6... to search is free, to view the results of your search costs 1 credit and to view the image costs 5 credits (appox £1)

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
              Raven's Family Tree

Comment

You could also look mother and child up in 1891 and 1901 census's and see who else is in the household
                Last edited by JBee; 23-07-08, 22:09.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

If the father was dead then his name would be entered with 'Deceased' on the next line.

My guess is that the father is not known.

Hugo

Comment

It is only very recently that a birth cert has had to be produced for a marriage to take place - before that it was done on trust.

The standard genealogical rule of thumb is

No father's name on birth cert = illegitimate

Illegitimate does not of course mean that the father is unknown.

Most illegitimate people made up a father's name for the occasion of their marriage, if they didn't know who he was. The fact that your man didn't do that means, I am afraid, that he really did not know who his father was and it is most unlikely that his parents were married.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by mcknil View Post
                      They must have known who the father was, as the mother's name changes, and the children have the 'married' surname.
                      Don't forget that it is possible that the mother was indeed married, and so had a different surname from the one she was born with, but that her husband was not the father of the children.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                      X