No announcement yet.

Norton has done this to me I'm sure!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton has done this to me I'm sure!!!

Today after MUCH trouble I updated Norton - they had sent a update letter saying to.

Now I cannot get to do a name search on Ancestry, it just keeps coming up with the censuses then when I click on say 1841 it then brings up to search by county and then area, which isn't what I want, I want to search by name but cannot find how to get back to it.

Also can get on Genes but cannot get any tree, mine or others that I have permission to see.

Dog's have Owners, Cats have Staff
    It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser

I'm not being funny but has anyone answered me. I think the problem may be that if there are replies I cannot see them on here. I don't think my email is on here but can someone mail me via Genes and see if that works, my name is the same as on here.
    Just tried to add a smilie and that won't come up either.

Comment

Hi Yvonne,
      There have been no replies to your post yet - it would seem that not many people use Norton! I gave it up years ago when it stuffed my computer nicely and rely on AVG nowadays I'm afraid.
      Hope you can sort something out - we do love our toys don't we - until they try and fall of the perch! Sorry I can't help you out.
      Marion
      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Thanks anyway Marion, was begining to think I was all alone.
        Will have to see if I can contact Norton to try and sort this out, otherwise it is for the chop!!!!

Comment

Have you tried uninstalling Norton and seeing if it makes a difference?
          I've put in a couple of smilies for you to keep you going!
          Marion

Comment

Originally posted by Yvonne the Sandgrounder View Post
            Thanks anyway Marion, was begining to think I was all alone.
            Will have to see if I can contact Norton to try and sort this out, otherwise it is for the chop!!!!
            It would be a pity to give the best anti-virus program the chop for nothing.
            I use Norton both the anti-virus and firewall and can access any site I wish including Ancestry.
            The census returns are under the first button or tag on the returned "list" of records for a search using only a surname.

Do you have a pop-up blocker activated?
            Are you using a fire-wall?
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Tis very strange.
              I have just accessed my tree on Genes and got into Ancestry via a name search by going into my husband's side of the computer but when I go to my part I cannot get anything.

Does that make sense.

I have pop up allowed on Genes and Ancestry, still cannot see my tree on Genes.

and I still cannot put the smilies on here even when I have clicked on them.

Don't know what to do.
              Last edited by Yvonne the Sandgrounder; 21-07-08, 17:16.

Comment

check to see the security settings for norton and your web browser as it may be stopping cookies which can affect how sites work

Comment

I had problems with norton and ancestry on both firefox and IE7. I ended up getting rid of norton and getting a refund from them. Installed AVG and haven't had a problem since. I have to say that norton did try to sort the problem and it was down to the firewall i think.
                  Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Hi Yvonne,

I have used Norton for years, if you email them with your problem I'm sure they will help you, or try the support in the help section of Norton
                    Kathleen

Comment

I had the same problem when I was using Norton Internet Security (on my previous PC so I can't check and I have McAfee on this one) when the site first opened and it was to do with some pictures being blocked because Norton thought that they were adverts - somewhere in the settings you need to unblock ads. It didn't mean that I got all the ads I didn't want, as they were still blocked through other places but I could see all the pictures, smilies etc.

Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Not being very literate with computers, how would I check the settings, and what should they be?

Comment

From the Taskbar or from the startup menu, Right click on the Firewall Icon and go to properties.
                          Then click on "Ad blocking" option.
                          Then uncheck the check box option for "Block Pop-up Ads" and return to your browser.

try that

Comment

Originally posted by Yvonne the Sandgrounder View Post
                            Not being very literate with computers, how would I check the settings, and what should they be?
                            Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            From the Taskbar or from the startup menu, Right click on the Firewall Icon and go to properties.
                            Then click on "Ad blocking" option.
                            Then uncheck the check box option for "Block Pop-up Ads" and return to your browser.

try that
                            It is in the Norton Settings that the change needs to be made - you can leave the other one as it is. As I haven't got the software now, I can't post a picture for you but I googled and found this:

Turning on or turning off Ad Blocking and Pop-up Blocking

and this

Geocortex IMF Launch
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Think it is more complicated.
                              Have just tried to print off the symantec answer and up pops

Internet Explorer Script Error.

This has come up several times today. Once when I was trying to print off receipt from ONS.

When I click on the Norton icon all I get is a blank screen.

Will have to try and get through to them via husband's side - his is okay, I can see everything there - just my side.

Comment

Yvonne,
                                If you put +norton +script +error in your web browser there are a lot of people who seem to have a similar problem - it may be of some help to look at a couple of them.
                                Marion

Comment

Yvonne, symantic (norton's owners) have an online chat help section, like MSN. Try them. I couldn't even install the product I'd bought online and they eventually did it for me. You have to give them access to your computer but you can see what they are doing. It can take a while so do it when you have a few hours to see uninterrupted in front of the computer. Good luck.
                                  Kit

Comment

Yes Kit I've used it too and have to say, I can't fault it.
                                    Kathleen

Comment

When i had Norton it would,nt let me do anything soon got rid of it had no probs since

Comment

Working...
                                      X