Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find??

Hi

I have parents John Hague and Emily (nee Lee)

of my grandfather and am looking for siblings/ census's etc..

My grandfather Arthur was born 28th March 1907 in Stalybridge.

How can I find siblings??

Thanks

Tracy

This looks like the parents marriage:

Marriages Mar 1893

Crawshaw Betsy Ashton 8d 459
    HAGUE John Ashton 8d 459 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Lee Emily Ashton 8d 459 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Neild Peter Ashton 8d 459

Children b before the 1901 census will hopefully show up there if they survived. Children b 1901-1911 are difficult to trace unless you already know their names. After 1911 the mum's maiden name will show on the birth indexes which helps a lot!

Comment

Do you have access to Ancestry? This looks like John and Emily in 1901, but surprisingly, no children with them at that date.

RG13; Piece: 3795; Folio: 178; Page: 30

Comment

There are no Hague with mother's maiden name Lee births in Ashton district after 1911. Obviously they could have moved or perhaps they didn't have any after 1911.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          Do you have access to Ancestry? This looks like John and Emily in 1901, but surprisingly, no children with them at that date.

RG13; Piece: 3795; Folio: 178; Page: 30
          Hi Merry
          Yes I have joined Ancestory, but am a bit 'green' and slow in finding things.

Tracy

Comment

lol! If you open the 1901 search page and click Show Advanced Search Options, you can put the various numbers at the bottom.

Comment

lol! If you open the 1901 search page and click Show Advanced Search Options, you can put the various numbers at the bottom.
              Thanks..... have done that and found them living on Astley Street - no 45
              They are living at 16 Astley st on my grandfather's birth cert. so I guess they are one and the same!

My mum seems to think he had a brother?

Comment

So the brother could have been born before 1901 and was staying (or living) elsewhere. Or he may (more likely possibly) have been born after 1901.

I don't suppose you know a first name?

Comment

So the brother could have been born before 1901 and was staying (or living) elsewhere. Or he may (more likely possibly) have been born after 1901.

I don't suppose you know a first name?
                  Sorry, Merry. We don't have a first name or any idea of when he was born!!
                  Thanks anyway.

Tracy

Comment

You might have to wait for the 1911 census!!

Do you have Arthur's marriage cert? I wondered if there's a chance his brother was a witness?

Comment

Another thing you could do is look at all the Hague children on the 1901 census born after 1894 in Stalybridge (obviously we can't be certain that's where any sibling was born, but it's a start!). Ignore all the ones with their parents and examine all those listed as niece, nephew and grandchild etc etc. Obviously most of them will not be John and Emily's children (possibly none of them!), but you might be able to work out some possibles. There were around 10 children (roughly) who you would need to look at.

Comment

Tracy, one of the Arthur registrations for Jun 1907 has a twin. Or was granddad the other one?
                        Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                          Tracy, one of the Arthur registrations for Jun 1907 has a twin. Or was granddad the other one?
                          Gosh Rose, how do you know??

Comment

Merry

Just had a word with my mum who seems to think my granddad had a sister too, who she thinks was called Doris - but there seems to be loads of Doris's born in Ashton around this time?

Tracy

Comment

Births Jun 1907
                              HAGUE Arthur Ashton 8d 567
                              HAGUE John Ashton 8d 567

Two births with the same surname and the same page number usually indicates twins; it might be just a coincidence, though.

Comment

You'd be better off looking at baptisms to get the right parents if you know which church they're likely to have been baptised in.

Comment

Hi Mary

Just had a look at google maps to see where they lived:
                                  Astley Street, Stalybridge
                                  But can't see any sign of a church. Looked up C of E churches in Genuki for Stalybridge and they look to be over the other side of the town.

Is it worth me sending for the 'twin' cert??

Tracy

Comment

Have you got Arthur's birth cert? If he was a twin (or at least if he had a living twin born) his date of birth should also have a time of birth recorded.

If he hasn't then it's likely that two Mrs Hagues popped down to the registrars on or around the same day!

Comment

Have you got Arthur's birth cert? If he was a twin (or at least if he had a living twin born) his date of birth should also have a time of birth recorded.

If he hasn't then it's likely that two Mrs Hagues popped down to the registrars on or around the same day!
                                      OMG it does have a time under the date 11.30 pm...... I just thought they were being really 'good'!!!

Gosh, you are all so good at this!!!!!!

Good gracious me..... I could have had twins......... help..... thank goodness I'm not having any more!!

Thank you ever so much..... I'll definitely send for John's cert now!!

Just to add, my mum never knew her father was a twin!! How sad!

Tracy
                                      Last edited by castanea1985; 21-07-08, 21:43.

Comment

Sorry not to get back to you last night. Mary and Merry (and your certificate!) have sorted you out.

I'll go and have a look on freeBMD for a death just incase John didn't survive.

LATER: I didn't find any deaths for John upto 1930 but don't read anything into that as it's inconclusive.

I would get granddads marriage certificate before getting John's birth, but that's just me lol.
                                        Last edited by Rosie Knees; 22-07-08, 10:28.
                                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                                        X