No announcement yet.

Who/what are Fennell and Peel & Roper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who/what are Fennell and Peel & Roper?

James Dawes serving on HMS Resource wrote his will in 1778 and named his wife as executrix.
    He died in Port Royal, Jamaica in 1780. His wife died at about the same time in London.
    In 1781 administration was granted to his daughter Susannah.
    In 1783 his final pay was made.
    All this info from the will and the ships pay book at TNA. In the column of the pay book stating to whom the final pay made it reads -

I've google the "annexed" bit and understand that now but was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas who the other people might have been? I'm thinking probably bankers or lawyers.... If so is there any where I can find out more about them?
    Sue

I agree Peel and Roper are probably the name of a firm of attorneys or bankers and John Fennell was the individual at the firm dealing with this case.

Hmmmmm........how to prove it though??!

Comment

Thanks for having a look Merry, are there directories for that period? I'll have to look later - off to work now :(
      Sue

Comment

I've tried the Gazette, which covers that period, but I can't find the phrase "Peel and Roper", and it won't search for "Peel & Roper" as a phrase.

Home
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 21-07-08, 12:58.

Comment

I've tried the various newspaper sites and A2A and TNA - no joy anywhere.

Comment

The lack of hits suggests that Peel and Roper isn't a firm, but two individuals.

Comment

Peter Peele and George Roper were Navy Agents.

The London Gazette is good for showing partnerships. Theirs was dissolved in 1787.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Wow Phoenix thank you! (I should have asked you on Saturday!) Now to find out what a Navy Agent was - thank heavens for Google!
                Sue

Comment

You'll get better definitions elsewhere, but navy agents were the people who organised supplies etc, so they would be reputable middlemen for financial transactions.
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks again! Just out of interest and for future reference - how did you find the info originally about them being Navy Agents? I put in a search on the Gazette archive and, as Mary said, nothing came up! So what search terms did you use
                    Sue

Comment

I just put in their surnames: Peele Roper and did a search for any page that included those two words

Comment

OK Thanks, I hadn't tried it with an 'E' at the end of Peel :o
                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                        X