Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW2 photo - can you tell anything from air force uniform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 photo - can you tell anything from air force uniform?

Hi...just had this photo restored on FTF and I wondered if there was anything more I might find out from the uniform. The hat? It was about 1943 I think and of my Uncle Pat, who was killed some time after that in a hospital.

He was having an operation and a bomb dropped on the hospital, killing him.

He was from Cardiff but lived in N. London. Don't know where the hospital was.

Thanks...know it is a long shot...

Robert Bernard Patrick (k/a Pat) BRYANT b1/9/1911 in Splott, Cardiff:

Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 21-07-08, 10:27.
    Liz

A friend who's just popped in says the hats shows he was a Trainee Officer.

I can carry on asking if you want to know more.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Hi Dorothy...I now know more than I did before. Please ask anything else that might help. I have never been able to find his death in BMD.

I suppose it is impossible to see which 'regiment' he was in...

Many thanks. Liz
      Liz

Comment

From Commonwealth War Graves site:

Name: BRYANT, ROBERT BERNARD PATRICK
        Initials: R B P
        Nationality: United Kingdom
        Regiment/Service: Royal Navy
        Unit Text: H.M.S. Collingwood.
        Date of Death: 18/06/1943
        Service No: P/JX/517781
        Additional information: Son of William Henry and Mary Ellen Bryant.
        Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
        Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. L. Grave 772.
        Cemetery: EDMONTON CEMETERY, Middlesex

Comment

Bryant Robert B P
          1943 Q2 Gosport 2b 728 aged 31

Comment

HMS Collingwood was a training establishment. You can read about it here:

The Wartime Memories Project - HMS Collingwood

Ann
            ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Look here under 18th June:

Royal Navy casualties, killed and died, June 1943

Comment

My dad was in the RAF.

The white flash on Robert's forage cap indicates acceptance into the RAF for aircrew training.

Comment

Does all this mean he was transferring from the navy to the airforce...or was he in the Fleet Air Arm I wonder?

Ann
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Erm....I'm not sure Ann. Doesn't the RN Fleet Air Arm have it's own uniform, whilst his uniform is RAF? (at least I think it is! lol) .....Off to google!

Comment

I can't find a Fleet Air Arm uniform that looks like an RAF uniform. They all look like sailors! lol

Comment

It's odd isn't it? That definitely looks like an RAF uniform to me and yet the record says he was an able seaman in the navy. It also says he was killed during bombing of HMS Collingwood, not a hospital as Liz thinks. There can't have been two people with that exact combination of names....can there?

Ann
                        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

No, I don't think so! He's the right age as well. I just had a look to see if Liz has a gedcom on here, but I don't think she has :(:D

We will know later as the CWGC had his parents names on it.

Maybe he had his photo taken in the RAF uniform as he was just about to transfer for air crew training, but was killed before the transfer was complete?

Comment

According to this memorial there were 33 people killed in that air raid, mostly new recruits so maybe he was newly transferred

Salhouse War Memorial 1939 - 1945 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Comment

It must be the same man.

I looked up the birth reg for Liz's uncle and it had the mum's maiden name on it as it was the end of 1911! The marriage of his parents shows they both have exactly the same first names as the parents on the CWGC entry.

I thereby rest my case, m'lud.

Comment

Well done Merry wont Liz be surprised when she sees this thread!

Doesnt he look a nice man too? Got a real cheery face

Comment

Originally posted by Marilyn from Essex View Post
                                  According to this memorial there were 33 people killed in that air raid, mostly new recruits so maybe he was newly transferred

Salhouse War Memorial 1939 - 1945 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Do you mean new recruits to the RN? Could he have transfered the other way round? from the RAF to the Navy?

I have to go out now...................

Comment

Originally posted by Marilyn from Essex View Post
                                    Well done Merry wont Liz be surprised when she sees this thread!

Doesnt he look a nice man too? Got a real cheery face
                                    Yes, he has He looks really familiar - I just can't think who he looks like??

Comment

I think he looks a bit like Perry ??, the Billy Mitchell character in Eastenders. Could that be who you're thinking of?

Jozy

Comment

I've quickly come on here while my tea is cooking - I am in tears. You lovely, clever people. His father was William Henry Bryant and mother Mary Ellen Hart.

Will get back after me tea. Thank you all so much...boo hoo...good tears...the family will be impressed!
                                        Liz

Comment

Working...
                                        X