Burial records - is there any way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burial records - is there any way?

I found out yesterday that my 5xg-grandfather Robert Bristow was buried in Bletchingley, Surrey in 1816, age 83. I already had his will which described him as a gentleman of Bletchingley, but his son had to testify that he was the same Robert Bristow who was an oil cooper of Three Oak Lane, Horsleydown (London) so the will could be proved. I've never really been able to work out what the connection with Bletchingley was before I found out he was buried there. But now I want to find out whether any other Bristows were buried in Bletchingley, and apart from going to Surrey to look at the parish registers, I can't see a way on either FindMyPast or Family History Online to specify which parish's burials I want to search, only which county. Is there a way that I'm missing? When FindMyPast first had the London burials online, I'm sure you used to be able to specify the parish but that facility seems to have gone now that the other counties are included too.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Bletchingly burials in the NBI are only covered 1813-1840
    The only other Bristow burial there was a Margaret age 52 buried 7th August 1836.

Comment

Thanks, Maudarby. Hmmm, I wonder if Margaret is connected to mine.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Kate,

could you contact SFHS? would they be able to help with the query? or is there a Bletchingly OPC? that could possibly help?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just a thought, have you checked FreeReg?
          Vikki -
          Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

There are no Bletchingley entries on FreeREG and there is no Surrey OPC site as far as I know. I looked at the list of parishes transcribed by Surrey FHS yesterday but it didn't look as though Bletchingley was included. But thanks for the suggestions.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Have you seen this:

St Mary - Bletchingley, Surrey - Family History
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, thanks, Nell, I'd seen that but I doubt if I'm likely to get down there.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                X