Cremated then buried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cremated then buried

Looking on deceasedonline, kindly alerted by Tinkerbe's thread...

I looked up one of my surnames = Pettitt

There are 2 entries for Zillah Charlotte who died 21 Nov 2002
    The first states she was cremated a week after death,
    the second that she was buried 6 months later with another family member.

Has anyone experienced this double event?
    Bridget

This would be "interment of ashes"?

The interment (or scattering) can take place long after the cremation.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I agree but the register entry states she was buried .....
      Bridget

Comment

You will find that she was cremated and then the family buried her ashes, we did that with my great grandmother about 4 months after she had been cremated, her ashes are now in the grave with her parents

So she was cremated and burried
        Vikki -
        Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

maybe her ashes were kept and burried with a relli.brenda xxx

Comment

Well - my fil died in 1999. He left instructions he was to be cremated, MIL was a staunch Catholic and I personally think his death and then this really made things worse for her.

So eventually his ashes were picked up, then we were told he would be buried in the same grave her brother had been in since the 1970's.

She had the grave opened a new large stone put in for her brother and a smaller book type stone put on one side for FIL. 18 months later she died, the grave was opened up yet again and she was buried on top of his ashes!!

I often wonder what people make of it all.

Comment

Thank you all for your explanations, I did not realise that ashes could be recorded as a burial and was surprised to find 2 seperate entries.
              Bridget

Comment

Well, if you dig a hole and put something in it and cover it up, its a burial, isn't it!

My mil died 1994 and was cremated. Her husband died in 1998 and was cremated. A month later both their ashes were buried in his home village in Wales.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think I've got one family grave that contains 3 normal burials - parents and one adult daughter, then at least the ashes of 3 more of there adult children. The last of these died in the early 1990s.
                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Well, if you dig a hole and put something in it and cover it up, its a burial, isn't it!

My mil died 1994 and was cremated. Her husband died in 1998 and was cremated. A month later both their ashes were buried in his home village in Wales.
                    My OH, whose birthday would have been today, was cremated (his wish) in this country but his ashes are buried in a ' proper ' grave with headstone, in the country of his birth. As Nell says, if you dig a hole.....

Comment

Our local cemetery here in South Yorkshire has a seperate area for the internment of ashes. Each "grave" has a plot of its own which is about two feet square and each has its own headstone, there is room in each plot for two small caskets of ashes.
                      Don.
                      ;)

Comment

FIL was buried in 1984, his daughter died in 2003 and was buried with him. In 2005 MIL was cremated and her wish was that her ashes be buried with her hubby and daughter. So the grave was opened up and her casket of ashes were placed with them.

Comment

Working...
                        X