Problem with AVG..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with AVG..

My sister is experiencing a strange problem with her AVG 8 during the last two weeks and is now quite frantic.
    She is using a dial up ISP and whenever she turned the computer on it the AVG would want to update and somehow automatically dialled up to the update connection.
    She managed to stop the computer from this automatic dialup action but the AVG wants to update every time the computer is turned on -tells her she is unprotected. When AVG updates she then has to reboot the computer. and is back to the vicious circle of dial up - update- reboot - dialup etc which is now costing her numerous call costs & she's unable to do anything on line.

Unfortunately I don't use AVG and have no advice for her.
    I would appreciate any suggestions for possible solution.
    Thanks. Kate :(

Don't know if this will help but under Tools there is an Advanced setting section and that controls what AVG does and when and how - has she looked into that area at all to try and solve it?
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Marion, thanks for your input. Yes, she has done that but is not confident about experimenting with settings unless she has step by step instructions. She has changed the time for the computer to update when she would normally be on line and I don't have a clue what else to suggest.
      She did go online today and ignored all the warnings to update until they stopped but isn't keen to try that again. Our phone calls are STD so we're trying not to make too many.

Comment

I dont avg any more but isnt there an option not to update automatically? I thought there was - so she would have to click on it every time to update instead.

Comment

Heather - I don't think she's mentioned that option but I'll pass it on as a possible solution. Thanks.

I'm off now & will be back AM Aussie time.

Comment

she could always uninstall it then reinstall it , may be a glitch

Comment

If she doesn't want to go into the Tools - try the first section - when you actually open the AVG Anti Virus it takes you to the "front page" and one of the icons says Update Manager. From there you can click and uncheck Update Manager Settings - Start automatic updates. That way it will only check for updates when you ask it to - but you do have to remember to check on a regular basis (like every time she dials up).
              There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Thanks Val & Marion. I've saved and sent the tips to my sister and suggested she work through them.

Comment

Kate,

Your sis needs to open the AVG 8.0 and click on "Update Manager".

When that opens she'll she the option to unclick the automatic update, simps !

She should update AVG when on line though, even if it's once a week !!!!!!

Comment

Thanks MTA. It's up to sis now as I've sent her all suggestions & I'm waiting to hear back how things are.

Comment

Working...
                    X