male or female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• male or female?

Good morning I've been seacrhing the birth indexes picking out children with the same mother's maiden for a particular family I am researching.
    I came across this name NEZBIA does anyone know whether it is a male or female name I tried to google it but nothing comes up. My thoughts may be a girls name?
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 19-07-08, 07:47.
    GWEN

I have never heard of this name - but a Yahoo search shows it as the nickname of a girl on a forum somewhere. This suggests it is female!
    Bridget

Comment

I had a look on Ancestry just now for first names starting Nez*, and found a number of
      Neziah (when other given names, they seem to be male)
      Nezelea (female)
      Nezlie (prob the same as the one above, really)

Were you looking at typed names? - presumably 'yes' if it were late enough for MMN.
      What county were they in? Is it possible that there's an alternative source for the info?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The name was clearly typed and was in Lancashire. I have still not decided to add the person as a boy or girl
        GWEN

Comment

My instinct would be that its a girl's name. If typed, perhaps it was a mistake for Kezia?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Are you able to tell us which surnames are involved? Perhaps one of us might be able to pick up a clue from some other source?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X