Tracing Military Ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing Military Ancestors

I've been organising the November issue of the magazine today and trying to get a good mixture of stories.

I'm now looking for articles from members who have traced their military ancestors from wars other than WW1 & WW2, such as the Napoleonic Wars, the Crimea and the Boer War in the 19th century and Korea and Vietnam in the 20th century.

I'm also after stories about Royal Navy & RAF ancestors - were they at the Battle of Trafalgar or fought in the skies in the Battle of Britain?

Every member is welcome to contribute to the magazine, irrespective of their writing abilities, as I edit all articles for flow, grammar, spelling etc. Even if you send me a page of notes, I will be able to turn that into an interesting article.

Please pm me with your ideas.

Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 19-07-08, 11:05.

Hi Velma

I have an ancestor who was on the Belle Isle at the Battle of Waterloo if that's any good?

If you don't get enough response I would be happy to send you the details.

Joanie

Comment

Thanks Joan I've sent you a pm

Comment

My gg grandfather was in the Crimean war & his father & grandfather were also in the army.
        Lynn

Comment

Thanks Lynn, I've sent you a pm

Comment

My Great Grandfather Alfred McElwain married for the second time in 1857, but it may have been Bigamous
            After the marriage he and his wife and new Daughter disappeared
            IO have since discovered that he went to India abt 1858/59 but not in the name of McElwain, he had changed his name to McDonald
            In the regimental files at the India Office I found that a son was born in 1861 to Alfred and Ann McDonald "alias" McElwain, then a daughter in 1863 to Alfred and Ann McDonald "or" McElwain, then in 1865 another daughter born to William and Ann McDonald
            He was a Corporal throughout his service and was the Regimental Tailor of, first the 3rd Bombay Army and then it became the 109th Regiment
            He was back from India in the 1871 census, stlll with the 109th, still as McDonald living on York St (Marylebone?)
            by 1881 he was back as Alfred McElwain and listed as an Army Tailor

Did he flee the authorities wanted for Bigamy or did he rip off a customer (he was a Tailor of Bloomsbury) or in Debt , nobody knows, it might make an interesting story if known

I have the History of the Regiment for the period, where they went etc

Mac

Comment

Thanks Mac, I've sent you a pm

Comment

Where do I find your PM ???

Comment

Sorry Mac, a pm stands for a private message which I have sent to you via the site.

If you look at your user name in the top right hand corner of this page, underneath this you will see 'Your Notifications: 1'.

If you click on this you will get a drop down list. If you click on the top one 'Unread Private Messages' it will take you to your inbox where you will find my message.

Comment

My great, great uncle was in the Navy, but not in any wars!

He was one of the first engineers in the 1870s when steam began to take over from sail. By the time he finished his career in c1909 he was working with the first submarines.

My Dad had a nice time at Kew a couple of years before he died finding out all about his great uncle, who he never knew.

Anne

Comment

Hi Velma,

I have the military records and obituary for my G G Grandfather who served in the Royal Artillery in the Crimean War and in 1862 transferred to the RA Coastal Brigade, occupation Dispenser.
                      These records I have summarised.
                      and
                      The military records for another G G grandfather who served in the RA in Canada 1840's, with two children born there. (not a very informative record though)
                      and
                      The records of my G Grandfather, also RA, who served in India and was struck off and sent home for 'Mania', two children born in Bengal.
                      and
                      Records for another G Grandfather RGA who had 48 years service and was at the Egytian Campaign in the 1880's.
                      and
                      The 'Duke Of York Asylum' records for my G Uncle, and his military records.
                      One page in his records show that his wife suffered greatly whilst at Aden, she was medically assessed and both of them were sent home for 6 months.
                      and
                      The RA records of my Grandfather who resigned whilst on service in India and came to Australia (from India) in 1913, then joined the Australian RFA in 1914 and was in the first contingent to land at Galipolli.
                      These records I have summarised.

If any of the above is of interest I would be happy to send you more details.

Kaye.
                      Last edited by kaye; 25-07-08, 01:14.

Comment

Hi Velma

I have my gt grandfather's army records, he was in the Northumberland Fusiliers from 1886 - 1907, then again from 1914-1917 (WWI of course).
                        It wasn't a great surprise finding the records, as my father had already told me he had served in the army. I knew the approx dates from his marriage certificate (married in Bombay) & some of the census info - eg a child born in "China" (actually Singapore).

He spent his first 8 years in the Far East - including a spell on the North West Frontier (Punjab). He seems to have spent the Boer War period on Malta.

Its all pretty straightforward stuff, I'm sure you have more interesting stories.
                        I have some nice photos though.
                        Vicky

Comment

Thanks for your kind offers everyone

The November issue is full to bursting, with a good mixture of stories, so I've probably got enough now.

However, if I haven't contacted you personally yet, I will do so shortly.

Many thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X