Manly/Rookwood NSW useful link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manly/Rookwood NSW useful link

This link was posted on the Sydney DPS forum/mailing-list.

Manly Families: Rookwood Cemetery

It includes a number of very useful links - including the Jewish cemetery at Rookwood. I found a couple of records for my niece's tree there.

I've added it in to the Australia/NSW links in the Wiki.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

That's interesting, Christine!

When OH and I went to Australia in 2006, we went armed with information about my great-grandmother's brother Fred Quintrell.

We had a photo of a grave in 1901, in pristine condition. We knew it was in the Sydney area, and my mum was always under the impression that he comitted suicide.

We were very lucky as our hotel was literally 2 minutes away from the NSW Record Office. They found his death, and sent us to the office to order the death certificate. We returned to them (as advised). On the death cert. in Australia it tells you where he was buried.

It was Rookwood Cemetery - the largest cemetery in the Southern Hemisphere, we were told. Fred is buried there.

He is the only one of eight children who didn't marry and he went to Australia to become a Gold miner, although I thnk he was far too late. He reputedly had women problems too. He shot himself through the head with his own gun. We saw the house where he lived and killed himself.

We always call him "Poor Fred". My great-grandmother was always very sad about the loss of this brother, and my grandmother kept a photo of his grave, which was passed on to my mother, and now to me.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
    X